Bonaire planning help....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Miceli

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are diving with a group out of Divi Flamingo but have 3 days prior and 1 day after the group arrives/departs. We arrive March 8 and leave the 20th. We are considering the following options but are open to others based on this groups expertise. We have never been to Bonaire and are both AOW with approx. 100 dives:

1 - Rent a car and do the Bonaire self tour

2 - Dive with a boat close to (or at) our resort

3 - Hire a guide and get the local knowledge/tour

Again, any other better options would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Go to East Coast diving one of those days.
Go to the Park one of those days, do a dive or two.
Take a boat dive trip to Klein Bonaire one of those days.
Off gas that last day.

You might find something of use here - My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

To follow up @tursiops suggestion, for an east coast dive, you'll likely either do a guided shore dive (such as at Cai) with Bas Tol of BasDiving.com, or whoever the current boat diving operator is. Both are well regarded; I did a dive with Bas and it was really good.

When you go to Washington-Slagbaai Park, unless things have changed, take a receipt showing you paid the marine park fee, so you don't have to pay to get in. I assume the nature center with the whale skeleton is still there. It's nice and worth a half-day to mosey through.

If you need an automatic truck rather than a stick shift/manual transmission truck, arrange that well in advance.

If you enjoy eating out, some others can name you some of the well-regarded restaurants to try.

There is kite surfing (historically done on the west coast down around the Atlantis site), and wind surfing (think little stand-up sail boat) on the east coast at Jibe City.

Richard.

If you are coming to Bonaire with a dive group you are probably coming to dive!

So hit the ground running, get a truck and tanks and dive.

If your 100 dives are Pacific Coast beach dives, it will be easy. If they are all resort boat dives, there will be a learning curve so choose sites that are appropriate. Lots of guidance from books, internet and other divers. But with 100 dives, you will be capable and you will enjoy the independence of going it alone. You might even want to skip some of the gaggle dives after the group arrives and do some more just as a couple

Definitely take Tursiops and Dr Rich 's suggestions, but maybe later in the week. After an East Coast experience, reverting to Andrea 2 could be anti-climatic.

Have fun!

Where are you staying pre-group arrival? Definitely take advantage of the time and do some diving. Either where you are staying, any of the resorts, or hire a guide to get your check out-shake down dives in. Whatever makes you comfortable, there are plenty of options to get wet. Get that truck and take some topside time, too. Our typical Bonaire day may be something like - up, breakfast, dive or 2. Lunch. MAYBE a siesta for the hubs, short photo dive for me. Take a ride > as Rich said the kite and wind surfing is amazing to watch. Late afternoon dive. Dinner. Gelato (Gio's!). Drive south to star gaze (watch for baby flamingoes in the road)

I don't think you can get lost driving, we've tried. (Just ask me about the Blue Rock route around the Coast including the karst-caves area, Spelonk lighthouse, Lagun and dump. Thankfully the tires held) Just remember to stay hydrated > water is your friend, and stay covered. The sun is a bit stronger than Ohio.

Arriving March 11, countdown on!

IMHO, do a reconnaissance of all possible shore dives and near-by chow places, then check out grocery and shops for (entertain the wife) scuba merchandise or souvenirs. Jump in and do one or two dives each day, and sit back relax and enjoy the island

If it makes you feel better, my wife and I made our first Bonaire trip with ~50 dives each (all boat diving) and had a great time diving alone. We rented from AB trucks ( ~$50/day with truly comprehensive insurance), stayed at a small rental unit (Divers Paradise), and rented tanks from Dive Friends. It was a mental adjustment to walk out in the surf, often on a deserted stretch of beach without a dive guide, but it is easy to navigate back to shore and we didn't have any problems. Our diving confidence was really improved after that 10 day vacation. Also really fabulous to dive totally on your own schedule

Where are you staying pre-group arrival? Definitely take advantage of the time and do some diving. Either where you are staying, any of the resorts, or hire a guide to get your check out-shake down dives in. Whatever makes you comfortable, there are plenty of options to get wet. Get that truck and take some topside time, too. Our typical Bonaire day may be something like - up, breakfast, dive or 2. Lunch. MAYBE a siesta for the hubs, short photo dive for me. Take a ride > as Rich said the kite and wind surfing is amazing to watch. Late afternoon dive. Dinner. Gelato (Gio's!). Drive south to star gaze (watch for baby flamingoes in the road)

I don't think you can get lost driving, we've tried. (Just ask me about the Blue Rock route around the Coast including the karst-caves area, Spelonk lighthouse, Lagun and dump. Thankfully the tires held) Just remember to stay hydrated > water is your friend, and stay covered. The sun is a bit stronger than Ohio.

Arriving March 11, countdown on!
We are staying at the Divi Flamingo for the entire stay. Maybe we will cross paths?

Thanks for all these replies......I'd love to do the truck/shore dive experience. We are tropical divers - we have been on the Mike Ball live aboard 7 day Coral Sea, Hawaii, and Cayman Islands......hopefully this will add to our favorites list!! We now have 2 free days on the 9-10 to explore. Our local dive master (group leader) said the East coast may be difficult to dive this time of year......is this your experience? Also, we will stay topside for the last full day. Thanks for all of your contributions as they will most likely be our best guide on this visit!!

I'm sure Divi will be happy to take you on 2-tank boat dives on your 2 free days. But you may want to contact them in advance and make sure there's room on the boat for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom