Bonaire in Summer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAFirefighter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

I'll be in Bonaire for a week this summer. I'm 6'4", 210 lbs. I'm debating if I should run a shorty 3-5 mil, or just a skin while I'm down there. Diving in Dutch Springs here in PA I was only chilly while not moving much. All this was in a 7 mil full suit, booties, gloves, hood. Water temp was 58-64*. In the pool (74*) in a 5 mil shorty I was only chilly, again, while not really moving. It should be 81-84* water temps while I am there, from what I am reading. Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks,

I usually just dive a skin that has a fleece lining (similar to polartech) and that is enough for me although I like a little more on night dives, a beenie cap if enough. Then again, a buddy of mine wears a full 5 mm and hood and is still cool. I would bring the 3mm if you have the room but also bring the skin if for no other reason than sun protection at the surface.

Last time I was there I was comfy in a 3mm full suit, not too warm.

I usually dive a 3/2 shortie. I left it home when we went to Bonaire in April and was fine in a swimsuit and tee.

Thanks all! I'm just going to run my skin and see how that works. If worse comes to worse I'll rent a shorty or something while down there if I get cold.

There is the slight possibility you might want a full suit to prevent being grated by the iron shore if the wind picks up. I was fine with either a full 3/2 or no wetsuit for warmth on two trips and when the water is calm it makes no difference for getting in/out, but a couple of days there was significant surf and a full suit was useful.

I have done Bonaire with a 3mm and a 1mm full suit. Neither was too much or too little. I prefer a full suit to a shorty for the protection it offers.

I dove there last August. The water temp was 84 & all I wore was a rash guard & board shorts. We did 5 dives a day for a week....
We're all different, so go with what you're comfortable with....

Back
Top Bottom