Bonaire in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alam555

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
May I please have some feedback on diving Bonaire in March. First time for us. Son is getting certified. My wife and I usually only do liveaboards, nothing but dive all day and night, but after so many years… running out of destinations, and with my son getting certified, looking at Bonaire in March. Likely stay at Buddy or Delfin. Thank you kindly.

March is at the tail end of the rainy season, so you may experience some intermittent showers. In my experience, showers are almost always very brief and usually occur in the very early morning hours. Topside temps are usually quite pleasant. Water temps are usually around 79-80.

Bonaire is a great dive destination. But keep in mind that the last year or two have been tough on the entire Caribbean. Abnormally high sea temps for an extended period along with the ravages of stony coral tissue loss disease have devastated a lot of the reef in Bonaire. Still lots of fish and marine life, but the coral is in much worse shape than it used to be just a short while ago.

I've gone in March don't remember it being anything abnormal with that time of year. October was the only "bad" time I've gone and that was only due to the rain daily. Just made mosquitos come out and play more.

Some people love Bonaire and some don't. I'm one that loves it due to the freedom of diving and the cost. Liveaboards are very nice due to the fact you dive a lot and don't have to worry about food and drink. I've heard good things about both places you have on your list, but can't comment personally. We normally stay at some sort of AirBnB.

I've gone a week in Bonaire and dove 28 dives and I've also gone and dove 15 dives. It's completely up to you. That's one of my positives. I don't have to be on someone else's schedule.

You should have a blast and it's easy IMO for newly certified like your son. I took my daughter when she first got certified. Less stress for them as you can ease into it.

Not been to Bonaire but we went to Aruba March of this year and it was beautiful. Water temps were great for snorkeling. Wore a 3mm shortie for diving and was fine at around 40ft depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom