Bonaire $$$ exchange????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbb97fxdwg

Reaction score
Hi,
Going to Bonaire in 6/06. Should I exchange some U.S. $$$$ for N.A. $$$$$$ ? I know from experience that sometimes it pays to stay on U.S. dollars and sometimes on local currency. Thx.

Michael B.

There's no need for you to exchange money in advance. The dollar is as readily accepted as the guilder. Just expect to get guilders in change. Unless you're going to buy a car or house or something the difference between the 1.79 official rate and the 1.75 given in stores is almost nil. When are you going in June? I'll be there June 25 to July 1.

Actually, buying and selling at the banks on Bonaire you have 2 different rates. If you want to "buy" NAF the rate is 1.82 = $1.00 if you want sell NAF than the rate is 1.77 = $1.00 The stores, restaurants, etc exchange rateis anywhere between 1.75-1.80, with the average being 1.78. If you go to the bank you will also be charged a small fee for exchanging cash or traveler's checks. My suggestion is to bring some small cash (oh and nothing greater than $20.00 bill stores, restaurants, etc won't take anything bigger) for your flight and your flirst day or so then take money via ATM. You can get cash in US or guilders.

Liz

To add to the others comments, instead of taking a lot of cash I use the ATM's on Bonaire instead. They will give you your choice of USD or NAF(guilders). Most of the time I get guilders unless it's late the week. So far, neither my bank or the Bonaire bank have charged me a service or exchange fee.
The rate figures out to be roughly 1 NAF= $0.56 USD. As a rough guide I use 2 to 1, that gets me close enough. A lot of restaurant menus are only in NAF so if the prices look way expensive, ask.
Do a word search on this board on Bonaire. Others and myself have posted a lot of great tips to make your stay even better. There are a lot of little bits of information that are really useful. For instance, there is an exit tax that you must pay before leaving the island. If you don't pay it before getting in the airline checkin, you will have to get out of line and pay the tax. A real bummer to wait in the line twice.

This is in line with what herman says...cause we do the same thing, use an ATM. Our card usually converts the currencys at whatever the current rate is and we also have never noticed a fee for this.

My wife travels alot on business to Sweden,and France; I know its not Bonaire. Her credit card will convert any purchases with foriegn currency to US dollars at the current exchange rate; thus insuring you are getting a fair rate and she says it can be very different depending on the circumstance. She never has to buy currency and sell back what she doesnt use. She carrys some money, small amounts from little purchases but uses her card for bigger purchases such as liquor, hotels, dinners. She has even used her CC for taxis. I never see anything unusual on her credit card sucha s fees or over charges. However, I never bother to figure out the exchange rate either since all of the expenses are reimbursed. This seems like a convenient feature since it eliminates the whole currency problem. We've even used our CC on cruises when we hit ports for fear of unfair exchange rates when all we have is US $; never seems necessary to exchange currency for a few hours on an island.

Sooo....can't we use a cedit card for purchases such as gifts, dinners, drinks etc in Bonaire?

Sure you can! Let them know that you will be using your credit card for purchase. The majority of the restaurants/bars will provide you with a bill with a NAF (guilders) price and a Dollar figure. The same goes with gift shops, this way you don't have to rack your brain trying to figure out the exchange rate. The majority of places usually have what exchange rate they use posted by the register or directly on the bill. You should be fine.

Liz

Liz are you saying that Maiky's Snack, Jibe City, and Rose Inn take American Express now?????

They accept US dollars but will give your change in gilders.

If you are going to the local grocery store, take your own bags and be prepared to weigh your own produce, print out the label and stick it on the fruit.

I took a few canvas tote bags and my back pack which helped out alot. Some of the labels are in Dutch, so look at the pictures of the food. I almost bought beet juice because it was the same color as grape juice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom