Bonaire electricity Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read that you shouldn't use a US blowdryer in Bonaire because it'll burn out due to the electric current. But what does everyone do about their laptops? Is it safe to plug your laptops into the wall sockets?

hey girl !
Yes most of Bonaire is 220, but...
it depends on where you stay. Buddy's has a 110v setup in the kitchen area on the countertop, perfect for charging everything. We took a powerstrip and would plug in laptop and battery chargers right there. Another reason Buddy's rocks.

I wouldn't leave anything charging when not in the room though as we were warned that Bonaire is prone to power surges. And you don't need a blow dryer in Bonaire as the trade winds do all the work. Plus you won't be out of the water long enough to matter. Trust me on this!

oh, and do take your laptop. For about $8 I think, you can get internet password to use the laptop in your room. No need to go down to an internet cafe and wait in line for use of computer. We e-mailed our daughter 2-3 times a day (cheaper than calling). Worked great!

robint
http://www.rnrscuba.net/Bonaire_June2007.html
(all the pics and videos)

For electronic devices such as battery chargers including
laptop chargers, you want to make sure they are "universal"
or "worldwide" chargers.
These types of devices don't use a simple transformer and
can deal with any AC power source.
These are the best type to have as you don't have to worry
about the electricity source. In some cases you may need a
simple adapter to adapt the pins to the wall socket you have.
These adapters are really cheap because they don't convert
the electricity, they simply adapt the pins.

Most newer chargers are universal. If you are unsure, look
at your charger for something like:

INPUT: 100-240v ~ 50/60hz

If you see something like this, then you don't have to worry
about plugging into any wall socket. If you can plug it in,
it will work.

--- bill

check the laptop charger specs. most of them would work fine everywhere (USA and Europe) as they are for a range of 110-250 V and 50-60 Hz.

bperrybap:
INPUT: 100-240v ~ 50/60hz

If you see something like this, then you don't have to worry
about plugging into any wall socket. If you can plug it in,
it will work.

--- bill
What he said.

Bonaire is not 220, it's 110V (more or less) at 50 hz. Motors (hair dryers) will tend to run a bit hot and slow but you can use them, just limit the time you use them. Laptops should be fine, most all new power supplies are rated 110-220 50/60 hz.
The $8 is for 70 minutes of internet time at Buddy, fine for logging on and off quickly but remember to logoff to save your time.

The default power from an electrical outlet on Bonaire is 127 Volts AC at 50 Cycles. http://www.infobonaire.com/technology.html
Strobe batteries can be charged at some of the diveshops, they have transformers to regulate the voltage.

I can tell you that if the electricity goes out at a certain resort, and the maintenance guy comes into your unit to check it out, he'll make off with your cash ...

Thanks everyone! My laptop charger says it's the right kind. I think I'll take a surge protector to be safer and definitely not leave it plugged in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom