Bonaire diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hoping to go to Bonaire in March. Considering a Happy Holiday Homes package deal. Would appreciate input (good or bad) from anyone who has been there. Deal includes a truck for shore diving. Have the option of paying extra for some boat dives - but not sure if we'll do that or just pay extra once there if we decide on a boat dive or 2. This will be our first trip to Bonaire - can't wait!!

While we always stay at the Yachtsclub apartments, I have heard many positive comments about the HHH. They are basically long term apartments on the south side of Kralendijk towards the airport. One funny comment that I have heard is that they do charge for extra rolls of toilet paper at HHH, so you may want to throw some Charmin in the luggage.

I personnally would not prepay for boat dives as you will likely do mostly shore diving (especially since you are getting a truck) One or two boat rides over to Klein (about $20 to $25 apiece for a one tank) should be enough to satify you urges and there are plenty of operators going out to catch one on your schedule.

Bonaire is my favorite destination as it is a great place to kick back and dive on your own schedule.

We just got back from a week with Buddy Dive Resort..........great location and especially liked the drive thru air station.........we did 18 shore dives and 0 boat dives...........can't wait to go back

Karl

I stayed at Happy Holiday Homes this past June. The owners are just great. The units are very clear and well mantained.

Dive sites are minutes away, as is the town.

I was glad I did not prepay for boat dives. The shores dives were great making a boat not really necessary in my opinion.:)

Did Cheech really say that on Bonaire? Well, let me make this unanimous: do not reserve boat dives! Enjoy the splendid shore diving on Bonaire and, if you get lazy on one or two days, schedule a dive a day in advance. I have to admit that I love to have someone else set up my tank, etc. Not to mention not having to haul my gear down to the edge of the ocean. BUT on Bonaire, all of that pales in comparison to the fantastic shore diving!

Scorpionfish

The freedom of shore diving sounds great. But the entries and exits sound like they would be difficult and potentially damaging for videographers and photographers.

ronrosa once bubbled...
The freedom of shore diving sounds great. But the entries and exits sound like they would be difficult and potentially damaging for videographers and photographers.

most entries are very easy. There's a book on shore diving available locally that describes the best way to enter each site. And if you ask permission at most resorts, they will let you dive their "house reef" and you just climb down the ladder into the water.

Thanks everybody! Can't wait to go!!! Your input has helped me decide not to prepay for boat dives. Are there any good Bonaire books that I could get in advance that anyone would recommend?

dancingtortuga wrote: " Are there any good Bonaire books that I could get in advance that anyone would recommend?"

Yes, two: "The dive sites of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao", by Jack Jackson and "Bonaire diving made easy", by Jessie Armacost.

The former you can get from Amazon, the latter at any dive shop in Bonaire.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Back
Top Bottom