Bonaire dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dave1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At the salt pier yesterday, many blue sergeant majors were defending their purple eggs. Many were on the pier metal, some on a large yellow sponge structure. Saw at least 10 big egg patches.

A few queen angels passed close by as well. The highlight was the finish of the dive. Heading back to the shore, two spotted eagle rays came to within about 15-20 ft of us and starting swimming in a circle together for maybe a minute before moving on. Amazing. Photos coming later, after sorting and processing, etc

purple eggs. Many were on the pier metal, some on a large yellow sponge structure
Not likely on a sponge. Hope you have a picture of what you saw.

Probably yellow coral then. I do have pics but will be awhile before I have time to go through them.

I'm calling BS on your whole story. Everyone knows the reefs in Bonaire are completely dead. Or so we've recently been told. :p

I'm just kidding, of course. I always love diving the pier. I'll be there again in a few months, and I can't wait!

I did not see the eggs on the yellow sponge. The fish were protecting the structure and whatever they were protecting was at the bottom of it and not visible. It was shaped like a large bowl with bright yellow sponge but the bottom of the bowl looked like it was rocky and if there were eggs, they would likely have been there. Coral was in good shape at the pier. Coral at Bari was mostly in poor shape but there were many fish there.

Another diver attacked by those eagle rays! Everyone stay home for your own safety!

I’m 100 miles in to the 4,000 mile trip to Bonaire, for a 3 month visit. Sure glad I read this warning about eagle rays showing offensive behavior. I’ll turn around and head home.

Not really. My last visit a couple years ago we saw rays close up (less than 10 feet) on many dives just north and south of salt pier. Didn’t see any at salt pier ever, but the dozens of turtles there were enough to bring me back for an even longer visit this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom