Bonaire Dec 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NevadaM

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just getting pictures organized from the trip to Bonaire. Two great weeks of warm and humid climate. Temps above were 80-88 or so, humidity 90-100%, water temps 81-82 no matter day or night or how deep (not trying to rub it in or anything :eyebrow: ). Went with a group and stayed at Buddy's Dive Resort. Didn't have a bad dive out of the bunch, vis was down a bit, istimate 50-100 feet depending on the day and dive site. Made a couple of boat dives off the far side of Klein Bonaire, but the rest were shore dives. Nothing over about 65 feet, I have more fun looking at the little things not being worried about getting back out. Made 33 dives(I think) :crafty: and could have made a few more. Saw a couple of Konger eels, some rare shrimpies, and a yellow eel I can't ID :06: . Not sure how many pictures I took, but I narrowed it down to about 350 decent pictures :11: , the rest are throw-outs. I intend to post the best of the best on the galleries, when I can get organized enough to do it. I'll attach three to this post (if I do it right) for you to see (all that was done to them was 'auto levels' in PS5).

I used the Olympus C750UZ, PT-018 Housing, No flash unless I was at night or looking under something or into something. The rest are all without flash. I used 'P'-mode and the white balance setting, adjusting it on white sand every 12-15 feed of depth change. The results compared to the January 04 trip was night and day. I thank all of you folks who posted hints and how-to's on this forum. It helped me tons.

Thanks

Steve M

The color on your stone fish are excellent! I love the turtle and it's amazing how close up you got to that banded coral shrimp! The last time we were on Bonaire I also saw a gold eel that I'd never seen before...it was a Gold Link...it was black but had gold chain links all around it. What did your's look like? I'm so glad you got to enjoy Bonaire. We are headed back down on the 19th Jan. Take care!

Liz

Liz,

We saw a couple of the 'chain eels'. They are pretty. My pictures of them didn't come out very well because the eel was back in the coral and hard to see. The one I saw is plain yellow with black spots around his head. I'll try to attach it here to show you.

Have lots of fun in Jan.

Steve M

dvrliz1:
The color on your stone fish are excellent! I love the turtle and it's amazing how close up you got to that banded coral shrimp! The last time we were on Bonaire I also saw a gold eel that I'd never seen before...it was a Gold Link...it was black but had gold chain links all around it. What did your's look like? I'm so glad you got to enjoy Bonaire. We are headed back down on the 19th Jan. Take care!

Liz

If I recall, this is a juvenile golden spotted moray..They are all yellow around the head with only a few black spots. When they get older, they are more spotted gold... We saw a couple last time we were at Tori's Reef in the shallow, snorkling as I can't dive yet.

NevadaM:
Liz,

We saw a couple of the 'chain eels'. They are pretty. My pictures of them didn't come out very well because the eel was back in the coral and hard to see. The one I saw is plain yellow with black spots around his head. I'll try to attach it here to show you.

Have lots of fun in Jan.

Steve M

Very nice pictures - I'll be looking for more.

Very Cool Pictures,
Waiting You Will Post More In Your Gallery

Nice job.....I'm starting to become a believer of the power of white balance and no strobes......it doesn't seem possible

Karl

I could be wrong, but I think this would be one.

kdietz,

I agree, I gathered all the postings I could get my hands on from ScubaBoard and did a lot of reading. I think the trick is the camera, it is the Oly C750uz, which has a larger than normal lense which lets in a lot more light. A co-diver on the same trip had another newer model (not sure of the number) that had the smaller lense. Although he had similar WB adjustments, he just couldn't get it to work right. It still needed the flash to get results. I think I lucked into this situation with this camera and housing. I've used it on two two-week trips and had no problems at all (except running out of battery or something stupid-user caused). I'm very carefull with the o-ring everytime I open the camera I go through a procedure.

I guess after the holiday I should post a trip report and a bunch of my pictures for those who might be considering Bonaire.

Everybody have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. :dazzler1:

SteveM

kdietz:
Nice job.....I'm starting to become a believer of the power of white balance and no strobes......it doesn't seem possible

Karl

dvrliz1:
If I recall, this is a juvenile golden spotted moray..They are all yellow around the head with only a few black spots. When they get older, they are more spotted gold... We saw a couple last time we were at Tori's Reef in the shallow, snorkling as I can't dive yet.

It's not a juvenile--it's a reverse color goldentail and it will stay those colors all of its life. The reverse coloration is considered uncommon in the Paul Humann book, but they're pretty common in Bonaire. Here's a pic of one:
331bcda0.jpg

I think jetwrench's pic is of a chain moray--a more rare find in Bonaire. -Clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom