Bonaire, Curacao, or Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JNelson113

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Would really like opinions. My husband and I just decided to go diving for a week in two weeks, February 16-23rd (unfortunately President's Day). We've narrowed it down to these three islands. I've only been to Grand Cayman, and only to do my OW cert dives. He's never been to any of them and he's an instructor and more hardcore than I am. I'm looking for a place with great diving, but some nice land activities and ambiance too. I hope this is enough to go on, and I greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you!

I love Bonaire underwater and the eats are great on the island. If you don't dive, there is not much reason to visit, BUT the diving is world class!

I have been to all 3 of your choices. Grand Cayman is expensive, but the diving is excellent. I would recommend Sunset divers. I think Bonaire would be my least favorite. They promote the shore diving, but it is difficult to do more than 2 dives a day. If you find a resort with a good house reef you could do more diving staying at the resort. Also, there is a lot of breaking into vehicles. Am returning to Curacao in March and they too have a break in problem however the dive sites have facilities for your use and most have a place to keep your clothes etc. On both Bonaire and Curacao take only what you need in the vehicle , and keep it with you, leave the vehicle unlocked so there is no temptation to break in.

I'll clarify. Driving to 2 different dive sites, loading and unloading vehicle, schlepping gear to water ,making sure nothing gets ripped off, dive time of about an hour, taking time to eat, diveshop wouldn't let us take more than 2 tanks. Certainly not impossible to do more than 2 dives, but difficult. I'd rather go to Cocoview, do 5 dives a day and have time for a nap after lunch before the afternoon boat.

Boniare is my favorite. We routinely do 4 to 6 dives a day, often at 3 or 4 sites. It not difficult as many of the dive sites are only a mile or so apart. While there are some breakins, the problem is a whole lot bigger on the internet than in real life. Follow the simple rules- don't leave anything in your vehicle and leave the windows down and it's very unlikely you will have a problem. 10 trips, 0 problems. Trip 11 coming this summer.
Curacao is also nice, good diving and plenty of places to eat but the sites are a long way apart so you spend a lot more time driving.
Cocoview is my second favorite location but if different sites are a big deal then it lacks somewhat. 2 of the 4 boat dives each day are the same everyday and the shore dive is the same as 2 of the boat dives...boat in, shore out. I am usually looking for macro life so I can spend days on the same reef. It does not bother me but if different sites are important then it's not the greatest. Food is another issue. Because CCV is an all inclusive and not the easiest place to get to and from you eat all your meals on site. The food is not bad but it's not what I would call great either. It's a step or 2 above high school lunch room food. There is plenty of it and it's not bad by any strech but it's not great either. If your into a lazy, do nothing but dive trip, CCV is perfect. Trip 3 coming this spring.
Never been to the Caymans so I can't really comment on them.

I am partial, but Bonaire. You should also be able to get a decent last minute airfare!

Regarding diving, our guests who come only to dive usually do no less than 3 dives a day, those on nitrox, the average is 5.

A lot of places on bonaire have "unlimited" shore diving packages, so you can take as many tanks a day that you want.

Also, the restaurants, mangrove kayaking, cave snorkeling, land sailing, little bit of shopping, museums, art galleries, windsurfing, kitesurfing, sailing, deep sea fishing, horseback riding and quite a bit more I didn't put in are great to do while you are on Bonaire too...

Liz

Thank you so much! Now, next issue is that the only place with availability in Bonaire appears to be the Plaza Resort. Any opinions on this place? I'm considering trying to rent a private house too.

Thank you so much! Now, next issue is that the only place with availability in Bonaire appears to be the Plaza Resort. Any opinions on this place? I'm considering trying to rent a private house too.
I was going to recommend that you first look for availability before deciding where to go since it is such short notice. Bonaire is awesome and yes you can do more than 2 dives per day. But Caymans would be good too since you don't have alot of experience and your husband, being an instructor, will be happy anywhere that he doesn't have to dive with students (I'm married to an instructor too!):D
So my recommendation for you is check airfare and hotels for both Cayman and Bonaire. I wouldn't recommend renting a house your first time to Bonaire -stay at a resort with a dive op and good house reef. Bonaire is a desert island with not much topside activities, just diving. Cayman has more topside stuff to do. You'll have a great time regardless. :D

robin

Have you checked Golden Reef Inn?? Liz (see her post above) has a nice small resort and she may have something. GRI is not on the water but nothing on Bonaire is far from the water and you will not find a better host. She is partnered with one of the best dive shops on this island so you will not go wrong there either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom