Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been to Bonaire, but I can't believe this has created such a stir and that people believe it's really much different than anywhere in the world.

I think I live in one of the safest cities in the world, but I've seen postings on travel advisory sites stating that if you rent a car here do not leave your valuables in the vehicle and if you must, than make sure you keep them hidden. I've really never even thought about it and I've never had my car broken into (knock on wood).

I love Bonaire, and I totally accept the fact that crime happens everywhere and you have to be careful. The thing that bothers me about Bonaire is that crime against tourists is so widely accepted and no one is interested in trying to stop it - and it's been that way for decades. It irks me that the prevailing attitude is "you're a tourist so you should expect to be victimized - and when it happens then it is your own fault because you didn't take unusual precautions."

I also love the Caymans and although they have long enjoyed the reputation as a "Safe Travel Destination" they have seen a recent increase in crime. But if you thoroughly research the Cayman News sources you will also see that the authorities are taking strong stances against the criminals, there have been a lot of arrests, speedy trials, and the courts are sentencing convicted villains to stiff sentences. Much heavier than many of the sentences handed down in my home town.

The Cayman authorities seem very aware of the value of their tourism industry and they are trying to prevent and deter crimes and protect their economy. I don't know if they will succeed, but I appreciate that they care and that they are trying to protect locals and tourists, unlike the authorities on Bonaire.

Recently I read an article in the Cayman Compass about a guy that had been partying all night near the West Bay Marina, he became rowdy and started insulting the locals and tourists and he even knocked some dive tanks off the pier and into the water. The Cayman Islands police responded and arrested him for various crimes including "insulting the modesty of a woman!" I loved that phrase, it just seemed just so "old fashioned and Caymanian" to me. Not only do they have a law against "insulting the modesty of a woman" but they are actually willing to enforce it - God Bless Them!

I don't actually expect Bonaire to go "all medieval" in their prosecutions against criminals, but I really wish that they showed any signs that they actually care and are sincerely trying to make things better.

Last edited:
Is it really fair to compare Bonaire with the Cayman Islands? The Caymans are doing pretty well, with their international finance operations. The British heritage and close UK ties don't hurt either. What's the GDP of Bonaire? Bonaire is a provincial little backwater that's trying to find its footing. The Dutch don't know what to do with it, and the Bonaireans don't seem fond of the Dutch. I would be surprised if they were as sophisticated about law enforcement as the Caymans. I hope it improves, but I can see why it hasn't.

"The thing that bothers me about Bonaire is that crime against tourists is so widely accepted and no one is interested in trying to stop it - and it's been that way for decades."

This is a glass half empty vs. half full issue where petty theft from rental trucks is concerned. What is a comfort to many is that you can stop it, and very easily...by leaving nothing of value in the truck unattended, and the doors unlocked & windows down. For a lot of people, that's stops it.

People breaking into residences are another story, but I think there's agreement on that. The issue of crime in Bonaire is more than one issue.

Richard.

P.S.: Maybe Cayman can afford the prisons to lock people up & pay the high costs of lengthy incarceration?

I love Bonaire, and I totally accept the fact that crime happens everywhere and you have to be careful. The thing that bothers me about Bonaire is that crime against tourists is so widely accepted and no one is interested in trying to stop it - and it's been that way for decades. It irks me that the prevailing attitude is "you're a tourist so you should expect to be victimized - and if you are then it is your own fault that you didn't take unusual precautions."

I also love the Caymans and although they have long enjoyed the reputation as a "Safe Travel Destination" they have seen a recent increase in crime. But if you thoroughly research the Cayman News sources you will also see that the authorities are taking strong stances against the criminals, there have been a lot of arrests, speedy trials, and the courts are sentencing convicted villains to stiff sentences. Much heavier than many of the sentences handed down in my home town.

The Cayman authorities seem very aware of the value of their tourism industry and they are trying to prevent and deter crimes and protect their economy. I don't know if they will succeed, but I appreciate that they care and that they are trying to protect locals and tourists, unlike the authorities on Bonaire.

Recently I read an article in the Cayman Compass about a guy that had been partying all night near the West Bay Marina, he became rowdy and started insulting the locals and tourists and he even knocked some dive tanks off the pier and into the water. The Cayman Islands police responded and arrested him for various crimes including "insulting the modesty of a woman!" I loved that phrase, it just seemed just so "old fashioned and Caymanian" to me. Not only do they have a law against "insulting the modesty of a woman" but they are actually willing to enforce it - God Bless Them!

I don't actually expect Bonaire to go "all medieval" in their prosecutions against criminals, but I really wish that they showed any signs that they actually care and are sincerely trying to make things better.

Thank you for a thoughtful and logic explanation of the situation.

"This is a glass half empty vs. half full issue where petty theft from rental trucks is concerned. What is a comfort to many is that you can stop it, and very easily...by leaving nothing of value in the truck unattended, and the doors unlocked & windows down. For a lot of people, that's stops it.

....works great until they steal your car battery.

And of course there are some people who like to go on vacation and enjoy an environment where you can actually bring something with you diving, crazy stuff like a towel, your cell phone or even crazier... a $4.00 hat instead of only a $3.00 one.

When that stuff's important enough, you select a destination with it in mind. This is not unique to Bonaire.

Some people want internet connectivity and cell phone service; oops, that rules out some live-aboards!

Some people want air conditioning; there are some land-based places that don't have that!

Some people want places without much recent political unrest; I read elsewhere the tourist dive industry in Egypt is suffering badly right now for lack of business flying in.

Put another way, you can name almost any destination & ask 'Is there anything I wish were different about it,' and come up with something.

I'm for making people aware of the good points & bad about most any dive destination. But there are some bad about most any of them. If it's otherwise too spectacular, there's a good chance it costs too much and/or is too far away, creating travel hassles.

Richard.

P.S.: I agree about the battery. Those forms of crime that are unavoidable by the wise traveler are another issue. If they become common enough, it will cost Bonaire business in a big way.

Is it really fair to compare Bonaire with the Cayman Islands? The Caymans are doing pretty well, with their international finance operations. The British heritage and close UK ties don't hurt either. What's the GDP of Bonaire? Bonaire is a provincial little backwater that's trying to find its footing. The Dutch don't know what to do with it, and the Bonaireans don't seem fond of the Dutch. I would be surprised if they were as sophisticated about law enforcement as the Caymans. I hope it improves, but I can see why it hasn't.

Doctorfish compared the Caymans to Bonaire (see above) so I responded. Yes, the Caymans are a much more wealthy country - and they are trying to keep it that way - but Dominica is one of the poorest countries in the world and there is very little crime against tourists there. And I still think that Bonaire could do a better job if the authorities actually cared.

Re car batteries: I can recall only one instance in which someone reported a car battery stolen. Maybe it has happened multiple times, but I would still estimate it is very infrequent. A thief can't very easily run off through the underbrush with a car battery.

Re Dominica: I know nothing about Dominica, but I have to wonder if the lower crime rate against tourists in Dominica than in Bonaire is due to circumstances other than better law enforcement in Dominica than Bonaire.

...Re Dominica: I know nothing about Dominica, but I have to wonder if the lower crime rate against tourists in Dominica than in Bonaire is due to circumstances other than better law enforcement in Dominica than Bonaire.

That's very likely true, it is probably more a cultural issue, but it does suggest that poverty may not always be the major driver for widespread practices of thievery.

Back
Top Bottom