Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you getting the $5.50/day. I don't get charged that. Maybe your lodgings are ripping you off.

The current "tourist tax" structure has been in place since December 2010 (two months after dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles.) A $5.45 tax per night per guest is levied against non-residents staying in any type of lodging including hotels, apartments, and guest rooms. The only exceptions are guests younger than 13 years old, airline crew staying overnight, and residents of Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Aruba, Sint Eustatius, and Saba.

BONHATA members charge an additional $1/person per night to fund their organization.

You obviously qualify for this tax. You're either paying it and you don't know it or your host is playing hide-and-seek with the tax collector.

@Kharon - Now, regarding the quality of the snorkeling on Bonaire and of the available books on the subject --- what say we stop hijacking this thread about inefficient law enforcement, lack of legal discipline, disrespect for the needs of tourists, and nepotism/cronyism on Bonaire, and start a new thread on the former topic. I will be away for a few days. When I return I will initiate one.

In the meantime, the fact remains that the Bonaire authorities have so far been supremely disinterested in engaging with discussion on a major ScubaBoard thread (i.e. the most representative board for American dive tourists) on the topic. What should that tell us as a community?

I've been following this thread, I posted something a while back. I've spent a total of 40 weeks on island and am going back for 6 more over the next few months. Since my first visit 12 years ago, I've been listening to people say the same thing about crime. I've never had any problem. If you don't like the situation with crime in Bonaire, don't go!!!!!!!!!! I will continue my trips there and love every minute of it and feel comfortable with the security of my belongings and my personal safety and the safety of my girlfriend.
That said I felt Honduras was 100 x worse.

Where are you getting the $5.50/day. I don't get charged that. Maybe your lodgings are ripping you off.
Some places charge $6.50. I was told when booking my next trip that it's to be paid upon exit, no longer to the property, due to non payment.

@Kharon - Now, regarding the quality of the snorkeling on Bonaire and of the available books on the subject --- what say we stop hijacking this thread about inefficient law enforcement, lack of legal discipline, disrespect for the needs of tourists, and nepotism/cronyism on Bonaire, and start a new thread on the former topic. I will be away for a few days. When I return I will initiate one.

In the meantime, the fact remains that the Bonaire authorities have so far been supremely disinterested in engaging with discussion on a major ScubaBoard thread (i.e. the most representative board for American dive tourists) on the topic. What should that tell us as a community?
I've had more stolen at home and the police didn't even come out. Phone report, that was it. It's not a Bonaire thing.

I've been following this thread, I posted something a while back. I've spent a total of 40 weeks on island and am going back for 6 more over the next few months. Since my first visit 12 years ago, I've been listening to people say the same thing about crime. I've never had any problem. If you don't like the situation with crime in Bonaire, don't go!!!!!!!!!! I will continue my trips there and love every minute of it and feel comfortable with the security of my belongings and my personal safety and the safety of my girlfriend.
That said I felt Honduras was 100 x worse.

From a few pages back ----

Kharon...this is not a Go or No Go thread. I believe that most of us agree that the standard "do not leave valuables inside your truck" is tolerated, you can control that. I believe the author of the thread is worried with the fact that the authorities were so complacent that the type of crime is changing to the worst. Having someone break up in your house while you are there is serious business.

This "local ism" of "It is their Island" to justify the crimes rate is wrong. This impact their economy and might impact even more if it keeps growing.

You should realize that if people take their time to come here and write about it and even contact Bonaire's authorities to help drive a change it is because we have the same goal: to make Bonaire a better and safer place for divers and their loved ones. Simply as that.

If you don't like the situation with crime in Bonaire, don't go!!!!!!!!!!
Do you mean that you would prefer that I stop my communications to the authorities on this topic?

I would be reluctant to do so, because I am not sure how I would explain to Dannie (from the bread shop) that his aunt, who had been robbed twice last year, should leave on the advice of a ScubaBoard member who is happy with the current situation. Know what I mean?

Last edited:

Would you seriously expect anyone in an official position to engage in an open internet discussion here??? I hope you get some useful/thoughtful responses in your private communications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom