Bonaire- Cheap Eats/Tips? Going Oct 10-17 if anyone wants some buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at Buddy Dive last trip, arrived late and could not get our rental truck till next day. As a result, we ended up eating at Blennies. Pleasantly surprised. The rotisserie chicken was so good ( and cheap ) that we went back and had it again another night. Also cannot beat the location. Tables right on the ocean.

I do not find the supermarkets to be particularly expensive so we shop there rather than hauling food, with extra luggage and fees.

Generally, with dive gear, cameras and clothing, we are at the limit for weight on our flights, anyway.

We stayed at Buddy Dive last trip, arrived late and could not get our rental truck till next day. As a result, we ended up eating at Blennies. Pleasantly surprised. The rotisserie chicken was so good ( and cheap ) that we went back and had it again another night. Also cannot beat the location. Tables right on the ocean.

I do not find the supermarkets to be particularly expensive so we shop there rather than hauling food, with extra luggage and fees.

Generally, with dive gear, cameras and clothing, we are at the limit for weight on our flights, anyway.

Doctorfish - home location has a lot to do with the "Bonaire is expensive" or "Bonaire is cheap" debate. Coming from the metro NYC/Phila/DC area, we also find the prices out reasonable. I am always pleasantly shocked to find prices far more reasonable in other parts of the US. Blennies is undermentioned! Food is reasonable, good, I often smell and crave their French fries after a dive. Miss the Lions Den burgers, that was always our first night routine.

Another very reasonable restaurant for eat in or take away is the Chinese restaurant just North of Capt Don's, forget the name. Tasty, large portions and reasonable. The little grocery next door really has a large selection and decent prices.

Doctorfish - home location has a lot to do with the "Bonaire is expensive" or "Bonaire is cheap" debate. Coming from the metro NYC/Phila/DC area, we also find the prices out reasonable.

Very true statement. I am coming from New Orleans and my Dad is in the Northern Virginia/DC area. New Orleans an average "cheap" meal is $15 a plate. DC is cheaper.

---------- Post added September 14th, 2015 at 11:32 AM ----------

Thank you to everyone who replied this is all very helpful! I think I have a decent list of places to look for and try out. We are not thrifty enough to bring things from the US all the way to Bonaire, maybe a few granola bars, but this is vacation. But more power to all you guys who carry frozen foods.

We are not thrifty enough to bring things from the US all the way to Bonaire, maybe a few granola bars, but this is vacation. But more power to all you guys who carry frozen foods.

Megan - that's how it started! Throw in a couple granola bars, dried cherries and red licorice. Next year the boss says 'honey, 1 week is just not enough, lets do 2 or 3 weeks, throw in some dried pasta and rice to economize and we can stretch the money for a 2 week trip.' It was all down hill after that. Before you know it you have an entire grocery list to pack. All worth it. Enjoy your trip, we are planning our 10th straight year.

Back
Top Bottom