Bonaire - Best Month/Worst Month to visit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papa Steve

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are planning a trip next year for our 30th anniversary. Though our anniversary is in August we do want to go at a nice time for diving. What are the best months to dive in Bonaire and what are the months one would typically want to avoid? Thanks in advance for the feedback and advice.

I think anytime is a good time for Bonaire.
:winky:

It does get very hot there though..so for me, I'd rather go in the fall. In the fall the water is still nice and warm, and you have a chance to see the coral spawning.
Also the prices drop in the fall.

Have fun! And Congrats on the big 30!

What Natasha said, any month is good. There's no bad time, the worse case is in the fall and catching a wind reversal where it can get hot without the tradewinds. Even then you can dive the east side, so it's still good.

I would go for your anniversary, what a great to celebrate it.

It is our 30th anniversary this year and we hope to back to Bonaire for it and the coral spawning (our 9th). Coral Spawning in 2008 should be 18th to 24th September and 17th Oct to 23rd.

It may be hot, but then you just go diving. Last Spetember it was very hot and the water very warm but for a few days there was a thermocline around 70 feet with a cold upwelling below, it was very nice to cool off.

Papa,

Congrats on 30 years! I agree with all of the above, but can maybe give you a little more insight.

End of November until mid of February is "rainy"season. Now understand Bonaire is an arrid island, so what we call rainy season are quick squalls of rain usually while you are sleeping. One or 2 days in the period you may get a day of rain, but no torrential downpowers for the whole day. It does make the vis go down to about 80 ft... not the normal 100+ vis...

Mid September-Mid October can be VERY hot. Our wonderful tradewinds usually decide to go on vacation, but the diving is GREAT. Excellent for coral spawning. Personally, I think anytime from March until Nov is the best for diving...

I also love August because I can watch the AMAZING meteor showers at night after a great day of diving. We used to watch them in the States when we lived there, but they are AMAZING in Bonaire.

Oh heck....there is NO bad time to come to Bonaire.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom