Trip Report Bonaire 2017 trip report, slideshow, & video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
BN7_0864(LR6)-2.jpg

As you may have read, we had a blast in Bonaire last week. If you'd like to read the full trip report, see the pictures (SmugMug slideshow), &/or view the video, here are the links:

TRIP REPORT - Bonaire 2017 trip report

SMUGMUG PIX/SLIDESHOW - BONAIRE 2017 - kenkurtis

YOUTUBE VIDEO -

Enjoy!!!

- Ken

I enjoyed the trip report. My wife and I are going on our first 'independent dive trip' to Bonaire this fall... I can't wait!

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. My wife and I are returning for our third visit on December 30th. Looking forward to spending New Years on Bonaire again!

Great video! Thanks for posting. How strong were your lights?
Dual Sola 1200s, but I usually run them on low (which is I think is about 300 lumens). I also use the Flip Filter "Dive" (20-50) warming filter on all shots, even with the lights.

- Ken

Thanks for the report and pics! I didn't realize you couldn't use pointer sticks in Bonaire. Glad I read this post. I do use mine responsibly but understand the problem. What are the current rules on lionfish hunting? Can you bring and use your own short polespear?

I didn't realize you couldn't use pointer sticks in Bonaire. Glad I read this post. I do use mine responsibly but understand the problem.

Pointing is fine, touching is not. The BNMP Rules & Regulations are clear: "Do not make any contact with the corals or other parts of the reef. Avoid silting up the bottom, by swimming too close, or by kicking while in a head-up position over sand. Have the knowledge and the skills to make sure you don’t damage any undersea environment: reefs, sand flats, grass beds, etc. - in any manner."

I'm surprised nobody has commented on this diver holding onto this coral head while he shines his bright light in this poor seahorse's face. At the end of that shot it's obvious that the seahorse is harassed to the point he feels obliged to move away from the camera, lights, and diver. Not cool at all.

grab0110.jpg

Good observation but is that the OP in the video or someone else?

Pointing is fine, touching is not. The BNMP Rules & Regulations are clear: "Do not make any contact with the corals or other parts of the reef. Avoid silting up the bottom, by swimming too close, or by kicking while in a head-up position over sand. Have the knowledge and the skills to make sure you don’t damage any undersea environment: reefs, sand flats, grass beds, etc. - in any manner."

I'm surprised nobody has commented on this diver holding onto this coral head while he shines his bright light in this poor seahorse's face. At the end of that shot it's obvious that the seahorse is harassed to the point he feels obliged to move away from the camera, lights, and diver. Not cool at all.

View attachment 403881

wwguy -- During our two week trip this month, I saw more of this than on any other trip. People "stabilizing" themselves by touching coral (or "dead" coral as they claim), laying in the sand (yes -- there is tons of life in the sand!), not caring that they kick the hell out of soft corals with their fins, taking shot after shot till the point of creature harassment, and -- my biggest pet peeve -- absolute ignorance on what buoyancy control is and how to attain and/or maintain it.

I'm convinced that the single biggest threat to marine life and the reefs is digital photography. Idiot divers like the one in your photo above feel they have the right to do whatever it takes to "get the shot".

I wish the marine park would ban cameras.

Dave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom