Bomb in the Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just heard a bomb exploded by Sultan Park in Male, in the Maldives. Apparently, a number of tourists were hurt.

The Maldives is on my "must-dive" list, however, I wasn't aware of any political issues over there. Anyone know otherwise?

Here is a link to the US State Department brief on the Maldives: Maldives

There don't seem to be any travel warnings per se. That being said, it does seem that there has been political unrest in the region for the past several years.

the key to why there was a bombing is listed in the US State Department brief on the Maldives: under the "SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES:" section...

Another bit of infor from the AP:

First-ever bombing in Maldives injures 12 tourists

Updated Sat. Sep. 29 2007 10:32 AM ET
The Associated Press
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka -- A bomb exploded at the entrance to a recreation park in the Maldives, wounding at least 12 foreign tourists Saturday, a government official said.
The homemade bomb exploded outside Sultan Park in the capital, Male, leaving 12 people, including two Britons, six Chinese and two Japanese with burns, government spokesman Mohamed Shareef said.
He didn't know the identities of the two other victims.
"The Maldives has never had something like this before. We are taking this very seriously because tourism is our lifeblood,'' Shareef said.
The country made up of tiny atolls in the Indian Ocean receives roughly 600,000 tourists every year, and tourism represents a third of the Maldives' economy.
The government will seek help from Interpol, the U.S. and India in the investigation, Shareef said.

Just heard a bomb exploded by Sultan Park in Male, in the Maldives. Apparently, a number of tourists were hurt.

The Maldives is on my "must-dive" list, however, I wasn't aware of any political issues over there. Anyone know otherwise?

Well this goes to show that no where is really safe...anything can happen at anytime and anywhere.

just so sick of these acts of terrorism.... these animals need to get a life! Haven't they got anything better to do?

The point of terrorism is to instill terror. If they can discourage sufficient numbers of folks from going to the Maldives, they win.

The Maldives has a republic form of government which makes me wonder why these folks are unwilling to try for change within the system. In a nation with 70,000 people it would seem do-able if their ideas were worth a hoot.

The point of terrorism is to instill terror. If they can discourage sufficient numbers of folks from going to the Maldives, they win.

The Maldives has a republic form of government which makes me wonder why these folks are unwilling to try for change within the system. In a nation with 70,000 people it would seem do-able if their ideas were worth a hoot.

you know the answer

just so sick of these acts of terrorism....

Me too.

these animals need to get a life!

Agreed

Haven't they got anything better to do?

Apparently not.

I saw The Kingdom last night. Excellent movie BTW.

While there are good people in every nation on the planet, we are fighting a war that cannot be won by our current stratagies.

There are those who want everyone but their own kind dead. And they will accept nothing less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom