Bohol Stay Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
:confused: Hello - PPD I need your help. I am trying to plan a dive trip in from Jan2-Jan7 to Bohol. Was trying to make hotel arrangements on the phone with Alona Tropical. We call the hotel directly and the woman on the phone was very sweet, except that she doesn't understand why we need a hotel confirmation! She said she doesn't have a international fax machine so we asked her to send an email confirmation - but she kept saying no need! We even offered to pay money as a deposit in order to get a confirmation, but she kept saying there is no need and you pay in full when you get there, if you want to confirm again just call.... Is this the norm for Bohol hotels? I can't find much information on the web on Alona Tropical (there was one post - the photos look nice enough) and most other hotels are already fully booked for the period we are going. I just don't want to drag my dive gear all the way from the US and find out that I have no place to stay!

Also we are planning to fly into Cebu and take the ferry to Bohol. Do you need to book ferry seats in advance thru a local agent? Will we run into not having enough seats thus getting bumped off? And where do you buy tickets? Apologies if the questions sound silly but so far I can't get a straight answer.

Thanks much!

Sharka:
:confused: Hello - PPD I need your help. I am trying to plan a dive trip in from Jan2-Jan7 to Bohol. Was trying to make hotel arrangements on the phone with Alona Tropical. We call the hotel directly and the woman on the phone was very sweet, except that she doesn't understand why we need a hotel confirmation! She said she doesn't have a international fax machine so we asked her to send an email confirmation - but she kept saying no need! We even offered to pay money as a deposit in order to get a confirmation, but she kept saying there is no need and you pay in full when you get there, if you want to confirm again just call.... Is this the norm for Bohol hotels? I can't find much information on the web on Alona Tropical (there was one post - the photos look nice enough) and most other hotels are already fully booked for the period we are going. I just don't want to drag my dive gear all the way from the US and find out that I have no place to stay!

Also we are planning to fly into Cebu and take the ferry to Bohol. Do you need to book ferry seats in advance thru a local agent? Will we run into not having enough seats thus getting bumped off? And where do you buy tickets? Apologies if the questions sound silly but so far I can't get a straight answer.

Thanks much!

Sharka, LOL, I think I might have gotten a similiar response with some small hotels in the PI. Even in Puerto Galera with the larger resorts, their reservationist will tell me "OK, we reserve room for you, no need for deposit..."

I'll let the locals chime in. But in the meantime, which dive shop will you be using? Some of the Alona dive shops can arrange hotels around Alona. Another alternative is using a local travel agent. Maybe Travelphil.com? Looks like they can book Alona tropical. And here are some links some Alona Beach dive shops.

http://www.travelph.com/resorts/Bohol/Alona_Tropical/index.htm

http://www.sea-explorers.com/alona.html

http://www.prosafari.com/default.asp?lid=2&ulid=9&uulid=15&show=2&johan=3

http://baywatch-divers.tripod.com/

http://www.scubaworld.com.ph/index.php?pid=109

As for the Ferry tickets, I think you can just buy em when you get to Cebu. Are you spending a nite over in Cebu City/ Mactan? If so, maybe ask the hotel there if they can pick up a ticket for you. When I was traveling around Cebu, I had the hotels I stayed at book my ferries.

Where are you flying from? As to not waste time, you can fly to Tagbilaran City instead of going to Cebu. But if Im guessing you are coming from New York direct to the Mactan International Airport, then over there you can take a cab to the WEESAM Fast Ferry terminal (take the cabs which are on the other side of the arrival exit, you will see a sign saying where the metered cabs are)

Over at WEESAM you can buy round trip tickets to Tagbilaran Port and back to Cebu for only 500.00/person, Im not sure if that's going to be the same price on the time of your travel. Ferry from Cebu to Tagbilaran would take about 1.5 hrs. Arriving at the port, if you have arranged transportation with Alona Tropical, then you should be ok, if not, you can just hire any cab or van there to take you to Panglao Island where Alona Tropical is. It shouldn't cost you more than 400.00 for this trip. . . 500.00 the most. Trip would take only 30 mins.

Thanks for the info. We are actually doing this trip as a side trip from Hong Kong. (I go home once a year to visit families - I just currently work in NY) Reason why we are flying to Cebu instead of Tagbilaran is because we can't find cheap airfare to Tagbilaran... and Cebu from HK is half as cheap. Have not decided which dive shop to use yet. Read from previous posts that Genesis, Seaquest, Philippine Divers are recommended? I'd figured that there are plenty of choices on Alona beach....

Sharka:
Reason why we are flying to Cebu instead of Tagbilaran is because we can't find cheap airfare to Tagbilaran... and Cebu from HK is half as cheap. Have not decided which dive shop to use yet.

Interesting... I found the direct flights from HK to Cebu during the holidays tend to be a lot more expensive than transiting thru Manila.

If you book early (month or so in advance) on Cebu Pacific Pak you can get direct flights to Cebu for cheap - about eleven hundred bucks

edit- I think it's only in the last few months they've had direct flights HKG-Cebu

As I knew direct flight HK to Cebu is more expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom