Body Recovery and Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it´s for our best interest, in this PSD community, is to try to share our experience, and this is one of many ways to do it. Thank you all for sharing.

I'm getting ready to take the ERDI-II Contaminated Water Ops class in a few months. The book discussed using Dawn detergent and Simple Green. No Clorox. I'll look back through the books tonight and see what I can find concerning chemicals.

The main idea is TOTAL encapsulation using a dry suit with attached latex hood, attaché boots, dry gloves, and a full face mask. When exiting the water, STILL on air, an initial rinse with fresh water with the runoff directed back into the water you just exited. After the initial rinse, a spray/scrub with Devon solution and soft bristle brushes should be done in a catch basin or kiddie pool. All contaminants should be containerized and treated as hazardous. Once clean, the diver is dried off prior to coming off air and undressing. Once undressed, the diver would then go through another decon for their body.

It's very involved if done to the fullest extent, but not every department has the means or funding to provide all of that. Just decon the beat you can to minimize your risk of exposure or disease. It's also good to remember that the decon personnel should be in Tyvek suits with respirators when they're cleaning contaminants off of you.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 09:24 PM ----------

Okay, I did some re-reading of the course material, and I've got some more definitive info per the ERDI Contaminated Water book.

Phase-1: Fresh water rinse

Phase-2: Viral/Bacterial Rinse (contained)
Clorox is actually okay for an anti-vital/anti-bacterial solution, but they recommend using only a 3%-5% concentration. The problem with chlorine bleach based solutions is that it's caustic and could burn the skin if exposed. The other issue is if it's used for decon from animal urine or other ammonia based contaminants. If mixed with bleach, it can form ammonia-chloride and is a poisonous gas.

Other possible anti-viral/anti-bacterial solutions are: SaniZide Plus, Bi-Arrest 2, and Easydecon DF200.

Phase-3: Oil/Solids Scrub
this is where the Dawn or Simple Green could be used. Dawn acts as a surfactant to break down oils and fuels, and also helps lift/remove dirt. The tank and gear should be removed and scrubbed under also. Diver still on air.

Phase-4: Undressing
Dry around mask and seals to minimize exposure to possible residue. Diver then goes to shower themselves, and/or go to a monitoring area.

I don't know how long it would take to do all of this, and I doubt I'll ever go through it all, but it's interesting to think about. Makes you wonder what the hell we're diving in sometimes.

Excellent post Jim:clapping:

You are right,, this is the same procedure and method that we would like to use,, but something that I doubt we would ever go through.. like you said.

But it´s good to know, and good take extra precautions if it possible. The info about the chemicals is good to know.

Good luck with the ERDI class... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom