Bocas Del Toro Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving a couple days with golden frog at portobello over New year's. Will tell you thoughts after our visit. Wanted to do Coiba, but it's a family visit to see my sister who lives in Panama City and logistics were just too much to make it to Boca or Coiba this trip.

Dove Coiba two months ago and asked the guides about Bocas ( one of them born there) and they said it's absolutly trashed by now and they would not recommend diving there anymore.
The videos look that way. Makes me so sad. I love the caribbean diving better than pacific diving with all the corals and color.

Diving a couple days with golden frog at portobello over New year's. Will tell you thoughts after our visit. Wanted to do Coiba, but it's a family visit to see my sister who lives in Panama City and logistics were just too much to make it to Boca or Coiba this trip.
Might try Jolly Roger diving, located in Portobelo. Vince Wanamaker owns it, and is a fellow seattle diver.
Either way, yes, let me know what you think!

I've been diving Portobelo for the last 15 years. (And, yes, it too has changed a lot.) I can't say enough about Golden Frog Scuba. Rey's rates are better than Panama Divers or Scubapanama, and his service is top shelf. There are two different areas of diving in Portobelo; the protected shallow sites like Drake Reef, Buena Ventura and the sunk airplane carcass ... and the sites along the outer, barrier reef -- Salmedina and Tres Hermanas. Most the dive ops won't go to Salmedina or Tres Hermanas except when the sea is flat between September and mid-November. Not so with Rey. We dove both sites with him in April ... and will do so again around Thanksgiving.

I've been diving Portobelo for the last 15 years. (And, yes, it too has changed a lot.) I can't say enough about Golden Frog Scuba. Rey's rates are better than Panama Divers or Scubapanama, and his service is top shelf.

Yep, this has been my experience as well. Rey, the owner of Golden Frog Scuba, runs a really top notch operation.

Talking to try about getting a couple days in. Want to do a more family friendly easy dive day and then do a day without the wife and kid to the barrier reef sites. Will post a review once I go.

Coming up on our trip to Panama in 2 days. Rey has been great with communication up to this point. He agreed to a 3 dive day instead of the typical 2 tank trip, is accommodating both divers and non divers for our family outing. Setting up a second trip without the family to hit the outer reefs. Very happy so far with Golden Frogs topside business, can't wait to see what's under the water

We took the ferry to Contradora to dive. That was a fun visit....a fact...Contradora was the scene to the first 2 survivor seasons. I liked the island...diving was so so...

We took the ferry to Contradora to dive. That was a fun visit....a fact...Contradora was the scene to the first 2 survivor seasons. I liked the island...diving was so so...
Unfortunately I won't be able to dive as much as I would like, it's a family trip to visit my sister who moved to Panama as a missionary. We will be visiting SanBlas islands (snorkel only as the tribe doesn't allow scuba) monkey island on Gatton lake, sloth sanctuary in Chagras, Ell valle the village inside the dormant volcanoes. So lots of topside activities for the non divers, only a couple days of diving for me. That's ok, it will be our first trip in awhile that isn't centered around diving.

Back
Top Bottom