Boca Conditions: Brief report 7/31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB

Obi-MB-Kenobi
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Quick report to summarize. Trip on Diversity (Deerfield) this afternoon was very cool, but conditions are weird. Low viz (20-25')/ high current (3/4+ knots at times). We flew across reefs, and crossed in and out of chilly thermoclines. Spotted eagle, two turtles, huge hunting jacks, gazillions of schooling everything, and more damned lobsters than I've seen all year.

Looks like the full moon, the unsteady barometer, and the couple of fronts out there might be combining to create some interesting stirrings in the marine life. We saw a little of everything today, including schooling oceanic triggers. Watch the weather conditions topside. We heard rain above, and watched a lightning display, while drifting along at 55'. Lightning is a factor and you should cover storm protocols, and diver recall signals as part of the boat briefing.

Note: The current really is a factor - I hit the water and was off before I realized what the heck was going on. Primarily a north bound drift, but the current on the outside reefs was also pushing a bit east, so divers could unknowingly find themselves in deeper water than anticipated if they aren't paying attention. Flag management needs to be thought about - currents shallower result in being pulled by the flag line faster than the bottom current. If you're diving with a group, everyone needs to pay attention to the flag carrier -- separation in low viz / high current will occur in less than a half minute.

Anyway - dive with your wits over the next few days. Conditions require planning and attention. But these are also excellent times to dive. If you do, you'll be in for some neat experiences.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom