Bob Bailey's AOW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haze diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My regular dive buddy and I recently completed an advaned open water class taught by Bob Bailey, better know here as NWGrateful Diver. I wanted to take a moment to relate my experience with the course and instructor.

In short, I found the class to be a lot of fun and an outstanding value. Bob is a great instructor who loves to dive and teach safe diving and it shows in the class and in the water.

Bob takes a skills based approach as opposed to the more common experience based approach to advanced open water. You need to demonstrate the skills taught in the class, not just show up for all the required dives. If you need to work on skills, Bob schedules more dives as neccesary until you’ve got them down. Buddy skills were emphasized and taken to a whole new level in the dive exercises. Bob also teaches gas management, which is not something usually found in advanced open water classes.

To start with, there were around eight hours of classroom instruction broken into three interactive sessions. Bob encouraged both questions and sharing of dive experiences along the way, making the classes interactive and a relevant. The custom reading material for the class is very good. We learned better buddy skills, navigation, dive planning and execution, hand signals, light signals, and much more, For gas management, we learned how to calculate SAC rates and RMV, which we then used to plan for our deep dive. This included calculating rock bottom time taking our buddy’s numbers into account. Before we splashed for our training dives, we had completed all of the classroom stuff and were ready to apply what we had learned.

The diving portion of the class was great. Seeing Bob in his constant horizontal hover inspired confidence and reinforced what we had been taught about improved bouyancy and trim control. The midwater navigation dive is difficult the first time, especially if your buddy skills are not perfect. One buddy has a compass and a set of headings, while the other buddy uses his depth gauge and timer. The idea is to navigate the course in midwater with no visual references while maintaining bouyancy, heading and time per leg. We tried this dive at the beginning of the class and didn’t do nearly as well as we would have liked. My buddy and I learned that we needed to improve our communications, stay closer and to deal better with bouyancy when task loaded. The next dive was a bottom navigation course involving finding flags, which kind of reminded me of a geo-caching exercise where each flag gave the course to the next. Bob then had us do a dive to measure resting and working SAC and RMV. For the deep dive in the class, we planned using our SAC and RMV as well as our buddies to figure out expected gas consumption and rock bottom time. The deep dive was very nice as our newly improved bouyancy and buddy skills payed off in a controlled and relaxing dive. We were then able to compare our planned gas consumption with our actual gas consumption. After the deep dive, we executed a couple of dives for search and recovery using different search techniques, including shooting a lift bag to bring something up from the bottom once we had found it. Then on a weekday, we went on to the night dive. The visibility for the night dive wasn’t great, but again our improved buddy skills paid off and the dive went well. After each of these dives, we would stop and discuss what went well, what we could improve upon. Bob would always ask us how we felt about the skills and each dive and if we wanted to work on anything more. After we had completed these dives, Bob wanted to see us do the midwater navigation dive again and my buddy and I wanted another crack at it. So last weekend we splashed at Alki cove 3 and gave it another go. This time things went much better, we were able to maintain our bouyancy within a couple of feet over the whole exercise, our buddy communication skills were dramatically better than the last time we had tried, it was a great affirmation of what we had learned over the course of this class.

My buddy and I agree that we are much improved individual divers as well as better dive buddies as a result of Bob’s AOW course.

Thanks Bob!

Bob told me you guys NAILED the midwater nav dive last weekend! That's an accomplishment -- I found that dive incredibly difficult, and have yet to go back and challenge it again (although the viz is bad enough these days that I should).

Bob's AOW class is what an AOW class should be, at least in my opinion.

Thanks Jerry ... it's always great to watch how far students progress from the time they start the class till the time they complete it ... you and Steve were a lot of fun to work with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I love to read stories like this. It is further evidence that most of us want to be good divers vs. just getting rubber-stamped and handed a card. Three cheers for good students and good instructors. :D

-Ben M.

Nice report Jerry, and congrats on getting through things.

Reading this took me in the way-back machine to 25 dives and last August, taking Bob's class was the best thing that I could have done for my diving. We are lucky to have him around here doing what he does best (and no, that isn't taking pictures . . . its educating divers and making our's a safer dive community).

Blitz:
Glad to see you guys made it through.

Marc

Hey Marc, good to see you here!

The DSMB deployment that you demonstrated for us in class was fantastic. Between you and Bob, I've never seen such phenomenal bouyancy control.

Hope things are going well.

TSandM:
Bob told me you guys NAILED the midwater nav dive last weekend! That's an accomplishment -- I found that dive incredibly difficult, and have yet to go back and challenge it again (although the viz is bad enough these days that I should).

Bob's AOW class is what an AOW class should be, at least in my opinion.

Thank you TSandM! It was both challenging and fun. I'm sure that I could not have found a better AOW class.

haze diver:
Hey Marc, good to see you here!

The DSMB deployment that you demonstrated for us in class was fantastic. Between you and Bob, I've never seen such phenomenal bouyancy control.

Hope things are going well.

Its all about the practice. You'll get there, bud!

haze diver:

Blitz had a good bag shoot? The wonders never cease . . . .

[ten bucks says Marc responds with "bite me"]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom