Boating near miss: beware of BOATS-US towboats us SALVAGE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I ain't no expert on it, hope I never need to be.

N

I am curious per my original post......would the USCG issue a bill for their services? If so, would the typical contract (similar to that which the OP was in with the tow company) allow for reimbursement of said bill? I have no experience with this so I am just curious.

not mad at all for your answer.... just trying to figure out what the "deciding factor" was. I'm assumed the "taking on water" was the deciding factor. You verified that... thanks....

Luckily I've only had to "tow" someone in one time. It was two 13 -14 year old's that ran their jet ski out of gas and the sun was setting and they were going to get stranded out on the water with no cell phone, no radio, wet and shivering a little as the sun was setting and they were wet in the wind. If it'd been the middle of the day, I'd likely just have called a tow for them to come get them. But being it was getting dark and they were cold from being wet, I didn't want to leave them out there. Some redneck in his boat could have "mowed them down" not seeing them at night.....

I had them get in my boat, gave them towels to wrap up in and towed them in. Gave them a cell phone and made them call their parents because they were an hour late and let them know that they were ok and would be in soon.

Rednecks are not the only ones who cant see at night,matter of fact I think I see pretty well!!!!

I am curious per my original post......would the USCG issue a bill for their services? If so, would the typical contract (similar to that which the OP was in with the tow company) allow for reimbursement of said bill? I have no experience with this so I am just curious.

I'm not an expert on tow's, etc... but I don't generally think the USCG issues a bill for towing a stranded boater in.

However, I don't think they are required to tow you in if there is a commercial town company available. Especially if they have an more urgent call and a tow company is there to assist.

I thought it was a requirement to render assistance if you see a boater in need? I can not count how many times I have towed someone in. Plus I have been towed in a few times myself. Never paid or accepted money for a tow. Of course these were always on rivers or lakes.

I thought it was a requirement to render assistance if you see a boater in need?

is that an "actual law" or just a "moral law of the sea" ? dunno :idk:

I agree what you mean though. you shouldn't leave someone stranded. but doesn't mean you always can town them in.

Towing in a jet-ski with my 19' er is a lot different than me attempting to tow in a 35' Sea Ray for example. If they'd lost power, I'd just have call a tow company for them or the USCG. Not much else I could to besides stay on site with them until the Calvary came.

It is a requirement to assist,that could be only calling for help and waiting for help. If it could possibly endanger you or your boat it is recommended not to tow and possibly end up with two boats in danger.

The CG does not normally issue a bill for towing unless gross negligence was involved. However, I know that they also often will decline a tow and refer to a commercial operation once the situation is understood by them. The CG has better things to do like harassing boaters and checking life jacket dates than towing yahoos who ran out of gasoline.

If a boater does not have tow insurance from Sea Tow or Boats US or similar then you could be in for thousands of dollars on a tow fee and while your owners insurance will cover salvage fees etc I don't think it covers towing. Ever hear of a mechanic's lean? Well, guess what!

N

Having been towed in once by the USCG, I can tell you that they don't charge, but be prepared for a safety inspection once safely back in port.

We were towed back with a 47' MLB, and once they knew the bridle was holding, they radioed us to tell us that they'll be stepping up the pace a bit. We averaged 23 kts back in.

Make sure you have some way of communicating your GPS coordinates, as that's what they'll likely use to find you.

A tow is a tow and is covered under your unlimited contract. A sinking vessel is another matter. A sinking vessel has some liability for the person who puts their line on and is now responsible for getting your boat safely back to port.

So, you are tied to a buoy, you are sinking (albeit slowly), and you just want to go home. As soon as someone throws you a line, they are legally responsible for your boat (which is why they will usually put a crew member onboard) making it to a harbor of safe refuge. If your boat sinks while under tow, they are liable for any damages incurred. More risk = more profit. Your insurance company understands this, which is why they will hand you a standard salvage contract, which your insurance company will happily pay, rather than pay to clean up the spilled gasoline, possible damage to the reef, pay off your wife and kiddies because you drowned when the boat sunk, etc.

I will never put another line on a sinking boat. I will happily rescue the folks on it. If you're worried about your boat sinking, get another bilge pump, or 4.

Back
Top Bottom