Boating near miss: beware of BOATS-US towboats us SALVAGE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBill_FTL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm not sure where this should go, so moderators pls move to correct forum.

Short summary: we were moored to a bouy, were taking on water, engine would not start, called for assistance, boats us arrived but would not offer asstance until a salvage contract was signed. we were tied to the tow boat, (cast off the mooring), but they would not tow us....

2 USCG arrived 5minutes after 3 Boats US boats were on sceen, after 10 more minutes talking about it, we cast off the boats us lines, and USCG towed us in safely.

(bilge pump failed).

bascially, towing boats us, was waiting for the situation to get worse or for us to sign a salvage contract before they would help.

(both of us aboard were unlimited tow members).

They were more than willing to allow the boat to sink. before they would help.

IMHO, boats us is no better than a tow truck driver looking for an easy mark, to gouge them.

Captitalism at its best. That is what I call making a situation work for you :D. Just kidding. I am glad someone finally towed you in without a contract. Just curious, will you be seeing a bill from the USCG?

Edit.....I meant to add this but got ahead of myself.....if you get a USCG bill will you be able to ram it down TowBoatUS' throat?

That really sucks that you are unlimited members and they wouldn't tow you. Isn't that what you paid for? The fact that they wanted to do salvage on you instead of a tow job marks them as vultures. Were they the red TowBoatUS boats?

Contact BoatUS and let them know. They contract the operations, I think TowboatUS fort lauderdale is Offshore Marine Towing and Salvage.

I'm not sure where this should go, so moderators pls move to correct forum.

Short summary: we were moored to a bouy, were taking on water, engine would not start, called for assistance, boats us arrived but would not offer asstance until a salvage contract was signed. we were tied to the tow boat, (cast off the mooring), but they would not tow us....

2 USCG arrived 5minutes after 3 Boats US boats were on sceen, after 10 more minutes talking about it, we cast off the boats us lines, and USCG towed us in safely.

(bilge pump failed).

bascially, towing boats us, was waiting for the situation to get worse or for us to sign a salvage contract before they would help.

(both of us aboard were unlimited tow members).

They were more than willing to allow the boat to sink. before they would help.

IMHO, boats us is no better than a tow truck driver looking for an easy mark, to gouge them.

so what was their response to your call to their corporate customer service center?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to Boats and Boating..

Actually that is SOP for all towing companies. Your insurance should cover the salvage fees.

I have both Tow Boats USA and Sea Tow. You should read the contracts and also go to their website and read their "rules of engagement" as in hard groundings, sinking, capsized vessels etc. Salvage claim is allowed and is SOP. The CG may not always respond or be able to respond in time.

N

Actually that is SOP for all towing companies. Your insurance should cover the salvage fees.

I have both Tow Boats USA and Sea Tow. You should read the contracts and also go to their website and read their "rules of engagement" as in hard groundings, sinking, capsized vessels etc. Salvage claim is allowed and is SOP. The CG may not always respond or be able to respond in time.

N

so if you've got to sign a recovery contract (at cost to you or your insurance company) for a tow, then what's the benefit of having a "towing membership"? perhaps a lower cost?

so if you've got to sign a recovery contract (at cost to you or your insurance company) for a tow, then what's the benefit of having a "towing membership"? perhaps a lower cost?

Look, don't get mad at me for telling you how it is. No, for a tow you do not need to sign for salvage, certain conditions however such as those I mentioned previously are routinely a salvage operation. A simple tow is not.

I believe, from what I recall, if they, Sea Tow or Boats US, have to provide a pump to keep the endangered sinking vessel afloat they can and usually do claim salvage. Your insurance company pays the fee. As I have never been salvaged I do not know all of the ins and outs and while we consumers may not fully understand the law of the sea, that does not mean there isn't one.

Is it right, is it wrong, is it dishonest, I don't know, I am just telling you it is done. There is always golf.

:idk:

N

BTW, it is entirely possible for a party to claim salvage for rendering assistance even if they are not a tow company. Always agree up front the "fee" when you accept a line to your boat.

N

Look, don't get mad at me for telling you how it is. No, for a tow you do not need to sign for salvage, certain conditions however such as those I mentioned previously are routinely a salvage operation. A simple tow is not.

I believe, from what I recall, if they, Sea Tow or Boats US, have to provide a pump to keep the endangered sinking vessel afloat they can and usually do claim salvage. Your insurance company pays the fee. As I have never been salvaged I do not know all of the ins and outs and while we consumers may not fully understand the law of the sea, that does not mean there isn't one.

Is it right, is it wrong, is it dishonest, I don't know, I am just telling you it is done. There is always golf.

:idk:

N

not mad at all for your answer.... just trying to figure out what the "deciding factor" was. I'm assumed the "taking on water" was the deciding factor. You verified that... thanks....

BTW, it is entirely possible for a party to claim salvage for rendering assistance even if they are not a tow company. Always agree up front the "fee" when you accept a line to your boat.

N

Luckily I've only had to "tow" someone in one time. It was two 13 -14 year old's that ran their jet ski out of gas and the sun was setting and they were going to get stranded out on the water with no cell phone, no radio, wet and shivering a little as the sun was setting and they were wet in the wind. If it'd been the middle of the day, I'd likely just have called a tow for them to come get them. But being it was getting dark and they were cold from being wet, I didn't want to leave them out there. Some redneck in his boat could have "mowed them down" not seeing them at night.....

I had them get in my boat, gave them towels to wrap up in and towed them in. Gave them a cell phone and made them call their parents because they were an hour late and let them know that they were ok and would be in soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom