Boat Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogman_5

Contributor
Reaction score
Planning a trip down to the Keys for Mini-Season. The plan is to tow the boat down (was thinking of going by boat, but the potential for breakdowns, ugly weather, fuel cost, etc...), rent a slip at Marathon, live aboard and, of course, dive for bugs! Has anyone stayed at Sombero Marina and Dockside Lounge, and if so, how was it? I currently have a reservation there.

Also, anyone done any bug hunting around Marathon and willing to share some secret spots. (Hey, doesn't hurt to ask.)

Rich
frogman_5

frogman_5:
Planning a trip down to the Keys for Mini-Season. The plan is to tow the boat down (was thinking of going by boat, but the potential for breakdowns, ugly weather, fuel cost, etc...), rent a slip at Marathon, live aboard and, of course, dive for bugs! Has anyone stayed at Sombero Marina and Dockside Lounge, and if so, how was it? I currently have a reservation there.

Also, anyone done any bug hunting around Marathon and willing to share some secret spots. (Hey, doesn't hurt to ask.)

Rich
frogman_5
I love bug hunting, but I can't think of many places I'd rather be LESS than the Keys during mini-season. But if you have your heart set on it, have fun - just be sure to bring a boatload of patience!

I've hunted bug on marathon. but just snorkeling around my friend's property but he prolly wouldn't want you nosing around stealing all the bugs
:)

Boy, after that great advice, I bet you can't wait to drag the boat 4,890 miles from Tampa to the Keys. Although the distance is actually only about 239 miles from Tampa to Key West, factoring in dealing with the idiots in your way down ther towing a boat is closer to 5,000 aggravation miles, and that's on a good day.

Turn left at bleep...

A wise guy, eh? Take that! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

As far as the drive goes, it's a big heavy boat and I figure I'll just drive down the middle of the road @ 30 mph under the speed limit, and take revenge on every other slow moving vehicle I've ever had the misfortune to be stuck behind! And at that speed, the road ahead should be fairly clear too, except the occasional FOP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom