Boat Safety Items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taylode

Registered
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase a cabin cruiser (Bayliner 288) to use as a dive/recreation boat with its primary purpose being a dive boat. My question is what dive-specific items would you recommend? Some of the things I’ve come up with are:
· General first aid kit
· O2 & a Defibrillator (wife is certified ACLS)
· All the CG required safety equipment
· GPS with radar and weather
· VHS radio
Are there any glaring omissions that I left off?

If it matters, we will be diving mostly Northern California and occasionally Southern California.

Thanks,
Dennis

What is "Vessel Assist Membership"? I've never heard of that. I thought vessel assistance was part of normal seamship.

taylode:
I’m looking to purchase a cabin cruiser (Bayliner 288) to use as a dive/recreation boat with its primary purpose being a dive boat. My question is what dive-specific items would you recommend? Some of the things I’ve come up with are:
· General first aid kit
· O2 & a Defibrillator (wife is certified ACLS)
· All the CG required safety equipment
· GPS with radar and weather
· VHS radio
Are there any glaring omissions that I left off?

If it matters, we will be diving mostly Northern California and occasionally Southern California.

Thanks,
Dennis

Pug was referring to what is essentially AAA for boaters. I use Tow Boat US. The insurance is cheap considering the benefit. I have the Master plan (unlimited coverage out to 25 miles) for about $125 a year.

Back to your original question. You will find this list a bit iterative (you will add to it over the years). I have a 19' Bayliner cuddy used mostly for diving.

The only glaring omission from your list is a depth sounder and compass. Though something tells me you just forgot to mention it as something you already have. I would also suggest a real dive ladder. I used the standard 1/2 swim platform ladder until it broke (1 step ladder not designed for the weight of divers). Then I used a gunwale ladder for a year. Then two weeks ago I installed a real X-mas tree stainless steel dive ladder and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! How did I ever use anything else....$260 for 4 step ss ladder and bracket that allows you to mount it to the bottom of a swim platform. My swim platform is a polymer so I had two ss plates made to help distribute the load a bit better than the standard bracket backing plate. I had a 240lb dive buddy climb out wearing his doubles, backplate, etc. It's a beautiful thing....if you're interested I can post links for this. It's a back breaker to lug your doubles rig from the water onto the swimplatform then into the boat. It's so much nicer to walk out with everything on.

I have GPS, depth sounder, trilens radar reflector (I boat/dive at night and sometimes in shipping lanes), 3.3hp kicker engine and bracket used also for my dinghy, Master Tow Boat US membership, 02 kit, as of two weeks ago SS X-mas tree dive ladder, extra fuses, serpentine belt, tools, CG required equipment, extra lines (trail lines for diving), definitely need at least 1 anchor with enough rode/line to anchor in your area, spot light (I use 2), VHF, 600 lb capacity inflatable boat with engine bracket, manual and 12v air pump, container of zip ties (extremely important for all things boating/diving :wink:, compass of course, knife, nautical charts for all areas to be cruised, chart plotting tools in case GPS fails/breaks, fenders, extra supply of gear fluid (have to add small amount maybe twice per season), GOOP marine adhesive, WD-40, sunblock, paper towels, and last but not least....baby wipes (to clean your hands or whatever). That's all I can think of on my boat off the top of my head. Each with an important purpose though! I bought my boat brand new in 2000.

Good luck with the splashing of your boat. If you're buying used get a marine survey - it is worth every penny unless you are already a marine mechanic.

--Matt

taylode:
What is "Vessel Assist Membership"? I've never heard of that. I thought vessel assistance was part of normal seamship.

If you run out of gas, or have a problem they will tow you in. Oops, Matt already described it better.

Depending on how far offshore you’re going and the level of competence of your passengers and divers I’d add a few notes.

DSC capable on the VHF, couple it to the GPS, and show all passengers how to activate it.

2nd waterproof VHF in a ditch kit – an EPERB is even better

Obviously a dive flag that can be raised as high as possible – I like being able to clip mine to the top of my VHF antenna

Tag line with large float

Granny and down line that can be clipped to the anchor line

I like keeping a small submersible strobe available to put on the down line in limited vis – the louder as well as brighter the better sometimes

Radar reflector if you’ll be diving in areas with commercial traffic

Depending on what you have for hot water, a Solar shower bag is great – if you can pipe hot water to the fresh water rinse down even better

Dual frequency on the sonar if you want to find bottom structure – 3D is even better

Binoculars with built in compass are very handy if you have to round up divers after a dive

A good CO monitor on the boat so you don’t load divers up before or between dives – non-UL approved is best because they react faster

SeaTow or BoatUS vessel assistance is well worth the yearly price if you’ll be offshore

Dive specific additions to first aid kit for stings

If your ladder and swim platform requires removing your tank in the water, consider a short line to clip to the ladder with a few regulator holder cups attached to secure tanks until you haul them in. If your boat is the 288 Classic I believe it is, I would consider a Christmas tree ladder to replace the original and some hand rails along the top of the transom for walking between the ladder and transom door – that boat can be a little rocky in short seas.

Plenty of fold down tank holders, and you might consider making some fold down benches in the cockpit

Unless Bayliner changed the 12V system, I’d add a 2nd battery with it’s own isolation switch (in case the refridg, stereo, or radar runs the main battery down)

It took me 2 years to get my 36’ Sea Ray fixed out the way I really wanted it

ETA: It looks like Matt hit some good points too, but here’s a few more things that are more boating related but must haves:

3M 5200 sealant – never put a screw into a boat without it
Mildew resistant silicone for every place that leaks – also put it in the head of all vertical screws so they don’t get too corroded to grip a screwdriver later
A large assort pack of stainless steel screws
A large assort pack of “marine” grade wire crimps and connectors
A spare bilge pump, and a spare raw water impeller
Since that boat has a high speed fuel burn sweet spot, you may also find a fuel flow indicator will pay for itself in short order and make you feel better on longer trips - even better if it interfaces to the GPS

See what I mean by interative? Ha ha - the more time you spend on the water/on your boat the better you will hone your system for convenience and safety. It's always a balance of costs, space, weight, etc.

Taylode reminded me of other things I carry on the boat. A good electrical kit is extremely helpful.

Add the depth gauge, compass, 1 anchor, dive flag, and a Tow Boat US or Sea Tow membership to your list and you will have the most basic necessities covered. The process of equipping your boat is not cheap and of course takes time based on your personal experiences.

--Matt

Hey guys thanks for the inputs! It's always nice to benefit from those that have been there before you.

Dennis

underwatermom:
What is DSC capable?

Evelyn
Digital Selective Calling.

DSC capable VHF transceivers can be coupled to a GPS so they know your exact location at all times. When you get a DSC VHF you apply for a unique ID code from the FCC and they store emergency information about you, your boat, and emergency contacts for you and make it available to the Coast Guard.

In case of emergency at sea all you have to do is hit the DSC button on the VHF and it automatically starts sending a distress signal including your ID and position and many other VHF units as well as the Coast Guard immediately know where the boat is that’s in trouble. Some of the new chart plotters will display exactly where you are so any boats within range will know exactly how to find you. Some of the more advanced DSC units also have a nature of emergency feature where they can transmit that you’re sinking, have a fire, have a medical emergency, or other potential problems at sea so potential rescuers know what to expect before they get to you.

There’s plenty of other fancy tricks DSC can do like programming it so a friend can interrogate your VHF and know where you’re at, as well as giving you much better and more secure communications.

Back
Top Bottom