Boat operators-differences between good & bad divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not always. I mostly do shore dives and I have one particular site where I most often exit. My fins are all scratched from the exit and nothing else.
Lobster/crayfish diving also cause the fins to get beat up.

Not always. I mostly do shore dives and I have one particular site where I most often exit. My fins are all scratched from the exit and nothing else.
If someone comes up to you and look at the bottom of your fins before to give you a nod of approval you know who he is. :)

And then there's that one person who's just getting around to putting on their tank while everyone else is treading water.

If someone comes up to you and look at the bottom of your fins before to give you a nod of approval you know who he is. :)
Ha, ha, it would be the top I look at, not the bottom! If you have shark teeth imbedded in them that is plus 5 points for each tooth! :) (sharks grow back their teeth so no harm). Bits of stag horn coral, that is minus 10 points. :(

Seriously, it was just an example of many things I may look at, that any one of which taken alone could lead to a misleading conclusion but taken in fullness gives some useful insights.

James

The top of my fins are scratched more than the bottom. The usual way to exit at this site is to come into a rock shelf on your knees and take your fins off before standing up and walking out. I go through the knees on my drysuit for the same reason.

Note I mean Top when I'm standing. It would be bottom when swimming and kneeling.

Hey, be nice.

But of course I'm not afraid of sharks
My vote is now for @formernuke to receive the Frankenstein Award at the Annual ScubaBoard Forum Awards ceremony. Reviving a 14 year old thread from the dead is worthy of our best recognition.

My vote is now for @formernuke to receive the Frankenstein Award at the Annual ScubaBoard Forum Awards ceremony. Reviving a 14 year old thread from the dead is worthy of our best recognition.

It showed up in New post for some reason or a reply to watched.

As a former boat operator in the 1980's I did not ask to see a card or log. All divers had to sign a waiver that they were trained and knew the risks of diving and that my responsibility ended when they jumped off the boat and resumed when they reboarded. By observation and asking I could usually dertermine the experience level of a diver. I briefed all divers that were unfamilar with the site on what to expect and be aware of. All of my divers made safe returns to the boat. I will add that newly minted divers of that time may have been better trained than todays new diver.
Yes for Sure divers had to be fitter and NORMALLY courses were much more thorough
If we thought we had to fail a diver we would !!
Send them away to work on their skills or fitness
SCUBA assembly and diss assembly both in the classroom and pool side were done so many times it was obsessive
Why ? so when you got to the ocean or in a vessel it was a breeze
Minimizing pre dive stress
We had much higher levels of pre assessments
Including some pretty grueling swims and snorkel assessments
I actually taught a full SCUBA rescue in my basic courses
I have been a Dive Instructor and Paramedic concurrently since 1983
Generally speaking new divers are nowhere near as fit
Quite clumsy on their gear handling skills and an obsessive reliance on technology

It showed up in New post for some reason or a reply to watched.

No problem, brother…I was just funnin’ around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom