Boat lost divers -- recovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO a whistle is useless when the boat engine is running and a lot of noisy divers on board taking gear off etc, nobody will hear you. Best option is and SMB and a back up SMB if possible.

Every diver should carry an SMB, not one per buddy pair as in the case described above, if one originally used is lost, then the buddy supplies the back up.

MY buddy and I always dive with a SMB. On my last trip boat diving, one of the divers was caught in a current and drifted from the boat. He just inflated his SMB and waited- no big deal.

What was funny was everyone checking out my buddy's and my SMB. Out of 18 divers, there were only 4 of us who had them.

Don't leave home without one.

Terry

Several ops I've been diving with have a procedure where they check each diver has an SMB. They even supplied loaners to those that didn't. Florida Keys Dive Center was one that came to mind; but it's not the only op I've seen use this procedure.

Please do not get an underwater quacker unit. Also do not leave it attached to your BC as it will just get in the way. You can easily connect it at the surface "if" it is ever needed.

I'm curios, as I was just shopping for a low pressure in-line signaling device: What's the reasoning behind these statements?

What device do you recommend and how does one know whether or not they "quack" underwater?

How do you connect it on the surface without turning off your tank?

Several ops I've been diving with have a procedure where they check each diver has an SMB. They even supplied loaners to those that didn't. Florida Keys Dive Center was one that came to mind; but it's not the only op I've seen use this procedure.

Last year while in Belize on the Sun Dancer live aboard, they checked for SMB's and gave out loaners if you didn't have one.

I'm curios, as I was just shopping for a low pressure in-line signaling device: What's the reasoning behind these statements?

What device do you recommend and how does one know whether or not they "quack" underwater?

How do you connect it on the surface without turning off your tank?
First of all the Dive Alert is about 6 times louder than a regular whistle. I would recommend putting your head underwater if you ever need to use one.

Secondly here is a good reason to never leave one attached to the BC. It is another failure point. Some #24 line and a bolt snap conveniently store it in a pocket along with the SMB, mirror, etc.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...s-da2-dp2-dv2-recall-due-drowning-hazard.html

Third the quackers are listed as underwater noise makers. Leave them in the store! Get the basic cheaper unit.

They attach to any LP inflator hose. So you could disconnect your drysuit inflator, or the BC inflator hose and connect the dive alert in when needed. The failures listed above are from people leaving them connected inline with the BC inflator while swimming, which is what the company promotes doing. They are a great tool, when only brought out to be used in an emergency. The Dive Alert only needs to be hooked to the inflator hose to function, allowing you to hold it higher above the water line.

Plus, the underwater quacking noise is annoying, because those who own them use them all freakin' time.

First of all the Dive Alert is about 6 times louder than a regular whistle. I would recommend putting your head underwater if you ever need to use one.

Secondly here is a good reason to never leave one attached to the BC. It is another failure point. Some #24 line and a bolt snap conveniently store it in a pocket along with the SMB, mirror, etc.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...s-da2-dp2-dv2-recall-due-drowning-hazard.html

Third the quackers are listed as underwater noise makers. Leave them in the store! Get the basic cheaper unit.

They attach to any LP inflator hose. So you could disconnect your drysuit inflator, or the BC inflator hose and connect the dive alert in when needed. The failures listed above are from people leaving them connected inline with the BC inflator while swimming, which is what the company promotes doing. They are a great tool, when only brought out to be used in an emergency. The Dive Alert only needs to be hooked to the inflator hose to function, allowing you to hold it higher above the water line.

Have you used one? I have been using the dive alerts for maybe 10 years. A few have failed, but I have never had a problem with them leaking and being dangerous. when an emergency occurs and you want(need) to signal to the boat as you rapidly drift away.... it is highly advantageous to be able to just lay on your back (putting your ears in the water) and blast. I find them to be very robust, but you do need to hit the fitting with some wd-40 once every 20 dives or something.... The last thing you want is to be dicking around with the thing on a lanyard and trying to connect it (and disconnecting) your BC first is required, if you try to do it at the surface..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom