Boat Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gone off the coast here in North Carolina and been buddied up with someone whose first boat/coast dive it was. The operator didn't think anything of it. Most charters will explain everything about the boat (jumping off, lines, boat features, exiting water) prior to your dive, so it should not be any reason to worry. Wilmington has a lot of great in-shore wrecks that are perfect to get "warmed-up" to the Carolina coast. There may even be a closer option for you.

There's lots of good info here. The last post speaks truth when talking about boarding the boat in heavy seas. A single wave can push you 10' or more towards the stern and a mechanical bull has nothing on a boarding ladder when it comes to throwing people off. A Keys trip(w/ calm winds and good weather) will give you boat experience in warm, shallow water over beautiful reefs. The divemasters know they have divers of all experience levels and give great briefings that cover the topics pertinent to your dive. I let the dive flag flying over the shop be my guide to boat diving. If the flag is standing straight out in a stiff wind, it's probably not worth paying for a rough ride with sick people and a less than enjoyable experience.

This year, watch for a stretch of weather that doesn't exceed 3' seas NWS Marine Offshore Marine Forecasts by Zone and ask the boat you are interested in if you can go on an inshore dive as a "bubble watcher". Great way to observe the regulars and also find out if you need to deal with sea sickness without paying for a dive and then spending all your time hanging over the gunnel. You can do this (without even an OW cert) for just a few dollars and a tip. I don't know about your area, but NJ and NY make an art out of acclimating new divers.

There is nothing like the ocean,
lowviz

Aquatic Safari runs out of Wilmington and I know our shop has gone there with new divers. NC diving can be as easy diving in the Keys or extremely rough. As someone pointed out, getting on a boat ladder in four foot seas is like riding a mechanical bull. If you're thrown off, there's a good chance of getting badly hurt. That's why some boats require advanced training and experience for NC diving. You should link up with some experienced divers for your first trip to the coast and try to hit some inshore wrecks which are generally calmer waters. Once you do it you'll be hooked for life!

You could always take a weekend and go to Cozumel for some boat trips. Fairly smooth waters and 50 ft vis is a good way to start.
I know my brother dived off NC wreck alley and he had OW with no other dives.

It's my understanding some of the NC divers are pretty deep (never been there; did a little online checking since I'd like the see the sand tiger sharks around a wreck in that region someday). Ergo, once you finish OW, and while building up your experience, you might want to take Advanced OW &/or Deep Diver to cultivate a comfort level for greater depths, initially under an Instructor's supervision.

Oh, and one thing about boat dive op.s that seems to vary by region (such as Caribbean touristy sites vs. some coastal California ops, from what I read in another thread) is whether they put a Dive Master in the water to lead the main group around on a guided dive, or just drive the boat out, give a dive briefing, and expect you to jump in, do your own dive, find your way back to the boat within an hour or so, etc...

There's a big difference between 'follow the leader' (which I like) and independent dive navigation (which many people on the forum seem to admire, but would likely see me the object of a Coast Guard search & rescue mission!).

Richard.

Aquatic Safari runs out of Wilmington and I know our shop has gone there with new divers...

I was just there a couple of weeks ago and dove with Aquatic Safari (AS) to the Hyde. It was in 85fsw but I only went to the deck 55fsw. It was my first boat dive and I was extremely anxious about it but AS did a great job and had a wonderful crew. AS even does OW-cert final dives on the Hyde as I understand from speaking with the owner.

Coastal NC diving can be an interesting mistress indeed. You must bear in mind that this is the place that the cold labrador current and the warm gulf stream fight over territory. I have been out there in lake like conditions on one day and on the next chunky rollers with 3/4 of the boat hanging heads off the side. I would say that call some dive ops out there and get a feel for them and see how comfortable you feel after the conversation. I personally dive with the OBX Dive Center in Nags Head on their boat the R/V Go-Between. They have a very experienced crew and are about as helpful as you can be. Plus Bill's grilled hot dogs during the SI's are stuff culinary dreams are made of :)

Never dove there but from what I understand, it's blue water diving and deep wrecks so, not so good for newbies

Never dove there but from what I understand, it's blue water diving and deep wrecks so, not so good for newbies

Although true for many sites off the coast, keep in mind as well that the in-shore wrecks are good for new divers and many operations near the coast use these to certify open water divers. The in-shore wrecks are much closer and certainly shallower (many 40-70').

Back
Top Bottom