Boat Entry Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not imply that, though a few people also can get rid of a few kilos after the switch.
But if you are neutrally buoyant, fins are optional, at least for distances up to a few hundred meters.
And if you are not feeling comfortable and in control without, there is something wrong with your training or configuration.

I do support your statement regarding proper buoyancy, but jumping into the water without fins, (unless you're in dead calm water) is a bad idea.
Clearly you have not dived in a tidal surge or any current, or you'd know just how ridiculous that statement was.
Try that at Cabo, or in the St Lawrence (where I'm from) & the dive boat will pick up about 2-3 km down stream.

Mike D

Yeah any swift current like the st lawrence you are wearing your fins I have never seen or heard of anyone donning fins after entering the water up here around here no fins = no propulsion in the st lawrence the only time donning of fins is done in water is during a shore dive and in waist deep water and quite a few of us have to put our fins on before the rest because of lack of mobility I can't get my fins on while wearing my bc because I don't bend good

Here is a simple psa Jumping into a body of water without mask reg or fins in place is a dangerous and bad habit my dive club as a rule recommends and checks to make sure bc/wings are inflated so that you are buoyant so that when you jump in the water you immediately surface and once you are ok give an ok signal and then get out of the way for the next diver to jump in
I believe I am with the majority when I say that the practice of donning equipment after you jump in is a bad and potentially practice dangerous practice and should not be done

I've dove out if small ribs and larger boats and have had no problems getting back aboard I usually star by removing my weight belt and placing it aboard followed by my fins and lastly my tank or tanks

...Clearly you have not dived in a tidal surge or any current ...
Come to the Netherlands, they specialize in 'tides'.
We have spots there with 40 minute dive windows between tides of several meters and I like to miss those by a few minutes.
That's always shore diving, though.
In the Red Sea I was often told to have had 'strong current', that would count as 'no current' here.

I also did the same in Rhein and Ruhr. Small rivers by American standards, big streams for Europe though, with about 5-10 km/h typical current.

Donning fins takes about three seconds each. How far do you expect to drift in 6-10 seconds?

I also did the same in Rhein and Ruhr. Small rivers by American standards, big streams for Europe though, with about 5-10 km/h typical current.
Donning fins takes about three seconds each. How far do you expect to drift in 6-10 seconds?

At the low end of your range(5km/h) you're moving at 1.4 meters per second = 8-14 meters. (25 to 45 feet).
Now you must make a burst of speed, at greater than 1.4 meters/second upsteam.
At 1.6 m/sec swim rate you're only doing 0.2 meters per second taking almost a minute to get back to the boat
Most fully dressed divers can't maintain that pace for that length of time btw..
That's why we put out 100ft (30 m) of tail line when river diving, but then you know that, right?

I live near the St Lawrence now, but I'm from Nova Scotia (East Coast Canada)
If you want to compare tides, check the tide charts for the Bay of Fundy!
I'll re-qualify my earlier statement:
Jumping off a dive boat without fins on, in anything but calm water is a bad idea, unless of course you're wearing plodding gear.

Last edited:
To the OP question, use a clip around the tank valve attached to your chest d-ring and attach the hip as normal. When you are in the water you can detach the top clips and attach your bungies. I found this works well, when you exit do the reverse before you get back to the boat re-clip and detatch the bungies. If you have a helpful crew switch to your short hose, clean up your long hose side and as you get to the boat declip the whole right tank and hand it up, then you just walk up with the left tank still on.

Remove all cylinders, clips and bungee in the last minute of the safety stop, ascend to the surface and present the valve end to the attentive boat crew who immediately relieve you of the cylinders. Secure fins with bungees. Climb gracefully up ladder.Get coffee.

sidemount-course-philippines.jpg

Most fully dressed divers can't maintain that pace for that length of time btw..
On the dives and also surface swims I mentioned it is probably possible to hold position for a few seconds against the current, but afterwards I would act like driftwood. :wink:

Remove all cylinders, clips and bungee in the last minute of the safety stop, ascend to the surface and present the valve end to the attentive boat crew who immediately relieve you of the cylinders. Secure fins with bungees. Climb gracefully up ladder.Get coffee.

View attachment 366435

We live in very different dive locations that's for sure.
My steel 100s are a tad negative....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom