Boat diving: how many bags to bring onboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have been doing shore diving only so far and I stuff everything into the trunk of my car. Been thinking how many bags I need to bring for boat diving.

It looks like I need one mesh bag for all the gears, a dry bag for things I don't want to get wet, and another weight bag just for weights (some boats don't provide free weights)? Three bags seem a lot to carry...What do you guys typically do?

Where will you be diving? That will probably help so folks can comment if they know the the local customs.

My routine when I dived in the Southern states--
Dry bag-- like a plane carry-on but not as big as the ones that "roll" (ask where "dry" area is).
Gear Bag -- I used a hockey bag. For everything except weights
Mesh bag (large, sturdy)- for all weights unless some already assembled in BCD.

On the Sunshine Coast in Australia, the boats I've dived on have a soft compartment below the seat, that would fit a crate, or a reasonable sized bag, and some have a closed section at the bow, where you can keep stuff to stay dry.
I take a small dry bag (for logbook, phone, keys, glasses compact towel, my snorkling bag (that fits fins, wetsuit, mask, snorkel, gloves, boots, save a dive kit) and my regulator bag (I keep dust cap, inserts and alan key in there - I dive DIN, so need to remove the conversion inserts)

We fit regs and BCD on the tanks on the dock, which the crew then take on board (after checking pressure and tank contents). We change tanks on board between dives. I only take the stuff I need for the planned dives, plus the save a dive kit. The only thing I take that I don't always use is a hood, but we are graced with nice warm waters, so have that luxury.

Saw a newer diver bring his entire airline bag to the boat once. He just didn’t know what to expect.

One wet and dry bag to the boat. If it can’t fit under the seat it stays back.

I typically bring a mesh bag for my gear, and an empty dry bag, in which I put phone, wallet, keys, dry clothes. Agree with others, keep it simple. Never had to bring my own weights. As I have to fly to anywhere I dive, can't imagine ever doing so.

Next boat dive in Monterey but most of my future boat dives will be on vacations and I need to fly with my gears.
I have no idea about Monterey, but for tropical vacation-type diving, a single mesh bag for regs, fins, mask, computer, and miscellaneous stuff is typical. You'll probably wear the weights aboard, either in integrated BC weight pockets or on a belt. On small boats, you might hand these things to crew members before you board. A small drybag or ziploc sandwich bag works for wallet, keys and phone, and the pre-dive briefing usually informs you that there is a place in the cabin where you can stow things you don't want to get wet.

That reminds me: Perhaps the most important thing to know about boat diving is to listen to the pre-dive brief. Stop whatever you're doing and listen. There will always be know-it-alls who didn't listen--don't be one. Even when I have dived with the same boat multiple days in a row, I make a point to stop whatever I'm doing and listen. They appreciate that.

For me the easiest configuration is the one that I can use in all circumstances. I have a big diving bag that I use for travelling. Inside all my diving equipment and accessories along with a 45 l foldable dry bag and a mesh bag. 19 kg. When I go diving, the big bag stays at the living place unless this is a liveaboard. I only keep the mesh bag ( max 10 kg) and the dry bag. The dry bag has sufficient space for my stuff (clothes, shoes, electronics, personal belonging) and my wife’s.
Boat dive or shore dive, same setup.

I typically bring a mesh bag for my gear, and an empty dry bag, in which I put phone, wallet, keys, dry clothes. Agree with others, keep it simple. Never had to bring my own weights. As I have to fly to anywhere I dive, can't imagine ever doing so.
I flew one time to dive so far. Put my 12 pounds in my carry-on. Security took one out and wheeled it around to see if it could be a weapon and let it pass.

On local charters IE bringing my own tanks I get there early load the tanks on a folding dolly bring them down then with bpw and regs. Set everything up and then bring the that's back to the car then it's just mask fins computer and lights all attached to bc. Dry bag with undergarments and a towel, set of socks and underwear in case of a flood and drysuit out of that bag. Everything except that bag that I use to carry stuff in goes back to the car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom