Boat Checkout Dive Difficulties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anomalydesign

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I wanted to share the recent experiences my girlfriend and I had on our checkout dives last weekend.

We did our PADI classroom and pool training in January at our LDS, and got back in the pool two weeks ago to brush-up on our skills. This was in preparation for a trip to Cayman Brac, which included plans to do our open water checkout dives with the well-regarded Reef Divers.

The morning of our first dives we were fitted for BCDs and got an orientation to the dive boat. There were about 6 other certified divers on the boat as well as 3 staff including our instructor. Going out to the dive site, it became clear that the winds were fairly strong, and creating some rough seas which was even more apparent when the boat came to a rest.

The difficulties started here. As we were there for certification, we had to assemble our gear. This was tricky given the fact that we hadn't had experience with the BCDs or Regs we were using, and doubly so when just walking on the heaving boat was a chore. Nonetheless, it was really just a matter of strapping on the tank, attaching the first stage and hooking up the LPI hose. We both suited-up and took our giant leaps into the water as we'd trained to do in our class.

What we had not been prepared for, however, was swimming in heavy surf around a boat. I swam a safe distance from the boat, but my girlfriend who is still somewhat leery of most regulators was put-off by a "wheezeiness" in her second stage. That combined with the waves and the boat that was at times heaving dangerously close to her was all too much to handle, and she requested to come back aboard.

I wanted to stay with her, but was already a little queasy from assembling our gear on the deck, and knew I'd be miserable if I had to sit on boat waiting for all of the rest of the divers to return. As one of the staff said to my girlfriend on board "He didn't want to leave you, but he REALLY didn't want to get back on the boat", so when the instructor asked if I could continue, I did.

The dive was made more difficult for us, as for the first few checkout dives you apparently have to go down holding onto the line. The line, as I learned, is at the front of the boat, so I had to do some rather difficult surface swimming in a wide arc (so as to avoid the heaving boat) from the back up to the rope at the front. The rope itself was quite an adventure, given the way the boat was moving.

The dive itself was really great at depth. It was definitely a reminder of why we're so interested in diving, and I felt comfortable in my skills and training underwater. Coming back up the rope (and especially holding on to it during the safety stop) was another adventure. Something similar to a mechanical bull ride. Before we dove, one of the dive staff said "the mooring lines aren't really designed for this kind of weather, so if you just see a frayed piece of rope when you come up, look for the boat at the next buoy closer to the shore". Looking at the condition of the rope on the way up, I could see he wasn't kidding.

Back on board, seeing my normally seasick-immune girlfriend sitting at the edge, staring at the horizon confirmed my fears of staying on the boat for the full time. It actually took her the better part of two days to feel completely better. Needless to say, when we returned to the dock we decided not to pursue the rest of the certification dives at that point.

The story was a bit lengthy, so I'll try and make some summary learned lesson points for other beginning divers who might be in a similar situation:

• Be sure to familiarize yourself with the equipment BEFORE you tasked to put it together in a difficult/time-pressed situation.
  • If you have not been swimming with equipment in waves in an open ocean before (and why would you?), check the conditions, and be sure that you are comfortable with them because:
  • You WILL have to swim at the surface. If we could have jumped-in and descended immediately (as the certified divers did) it would have been much easier, but swimming around to and then using the mooring line was more difficult than any of the dive training we had done to that point.
  • Get away from the boat once you are in the water, especially in heavy waves! My girlfriend was hesitant to swim away from it, and got a little smacked on the legs as a result (lucky it wasn't worse).
  • If possible, go on a boat that has ONLY certification students. I think the operation trying to squeeze-in our checkout dives on the same trips as certified, experienced divers on their trips put us under more time pressure and limited our options when difficulties arose.
  • If you do become uncomfortable with the environment and/or conditions, call it off. You don't want to make yourself miserable or, more importantly, put yourself in danger. This trip was beyond our comfort level.

All that said, we have no bad feeling about diving or Reef Divers. We plan to do our certs locally at Dutch Springs (a nearby quarry) with an instructor from our LDS, and hope to go back to Cayman Brac someday when we are more experienced, and can better appreciate what they have to offer. We were just unprepared for what to expect on this trip compared to the pool/classroom work we had done to this point.

I welcome any feedback, suggestions, corrections, advice etc. This board has been a great resource for us in our learning thus far, and any discussion will I'm sure help us and other divers of similar experience/inexperience.

A viewpoint from a certified diver: I would have felt all the same things you did if I would have been diving on that boat. Not the best situation for your checkout dives - with other certified divers and the sea conditions. You should have had a more personal experience. I am glad to hear you still plan to do your OW dives locally. I have been in some tough sea conditions and know its not at all easy to stay at the surface. We certified divers go down as quickly as possible when it is that way.

I did a discover scuba class which consisted of a 2 hour + pool session and 2 open water reef dives. I was super confident doing the pool, but the open water was another issue. Being it was all rental gear, it was not the best condition or fitting.

There were four of us doing this discover with 1 instructor. I got into the water ok, and we did the same thing hold onto mooring line. so then we start.
1. I am having issues equalizing
2. My mask is leaking
3. why does the water taste so bad
4. wait why i am tasting water
5. There is a current
6. I am hanging on for dear life
7. 15 feet down, still having equalizing issues. The pool at 8 feet was easy
8. my mask is about half full now, and i cant clear because of current, holding on for dear life still
9. Line is covered with barnacles mollusks etc. So now my hand is bleeding.
Well I spent the rest of that dive on the boat, while i waited for my normally anxious wife to complete her dive. I did the second dive without that many issues, my mask leaked a bit. But I figured out my equalization issues.
3 months later I was certified ow

Moral of he story, don't give up

Sounds like a challenging day. Good call on moving far enough away from the boat. I think in rough seas, the boat is the most dangerous thing you will encounter on a dive by far.

You know, to this day, I can be challenged by rough surface conditions and the proximity of a large hull . . . Diving off a boat in rough water is physically demanding and can be a little scary. It sounds like you did just fine, but the decision to go on and get certified locally is a solid one. This is the kind of thing nobody thinks about when they decide to do their class by referral -- at least if you dive at home, you have gear you know and people you know to dive with.

Anomaly -I had the same problem as you in Grand Cayman. We were supposed to do our first checkout dive from the house reef but it was too rough and they took us out by boat. My son and I had to swim to the front of the boat to descend and by the time I fought the waves to get there with water flooding my snorkel, I was tired and stressed. My son, another diver and the instructor went down the line and I could just about handle putting my head under the water to watch them. The only reason I did not quit right then was that my son was down there and I felt I should be with him. I reigned in the panic and descended and was amazed at how calm it was under the waves.

We had an awesome dive and I have been hooked ever since, but I think had I known better I would have avoided diving like that for the first time in open water. My second dive was from the house reef and it too was rough and we were being thrown at the ladder and pulled off again trying to get back in but at least I had some idea of what to expect unlike that first dive! Enjoy your local diving and save up for some nice dive trips as you'll both have found a new love :)

It was definitely some challenging conditions that you faced on your checkout dives anomaly. Most of us have faced similar conditions and I would bet that most of don't like rough water entries/exits. It is usually the best idea to get in and submerge as quick as safely possible. Once underwater the conditions are generally much better.

It sounds like you made some good decisions and added to some valuable experience and knowledge. Until you get back to some pretty blue water take advantage of your local diving opportunities and build on your skills. Buoyancy, Navigation, Gear Assembly & Maintenance will all improve as you do more dives.

I dont know about most of you but the sea sickness, disorientation, and the general **** feeling you get after diving is why I go diving! :cool:

On a more serious note, I think it is very very VERY IMORTANT, that you had that happen to u. It showed u how serious the ocean can be. And you where lucky that it happen with an instructor. now you know what a bad day at sea is like and can be ready for it.

I think you should try and do some more dives at sea as checkout's. A few dives ago, I went out with my dive club and there just happen to be 2 newly certified divers that did only lake checkouts. They never dived in the ocean before¡! That particular day was very nasty, 5-6 ft seas and very strong current above and bellow. Frankly, not a good day to dive... Well 1 of the 2 new divers was instantly swept away by the current, the DM had to go after him. His buudy ended up being swept away from the dive site at 30 - 60 ft, thankfull his buddy was a rescue diver.

Long story short they both got swept away, cuz they didnt know what to expect at all. They ended up getting picked up almost 2-3 miles away after everyone got back on the boat like an hour later.

I like diving lakes but as far as gettin newer divers ready to dive without supervision, the ocean make for better practice.

• Be sure to familiarize yourself with the equipment BEFORE you tasked to put it together in a difficult/time-pressed situation.
  • If you have not been swimming with equipment in waves in an open ocean before (and why would you?), check the conditions, and be sure that you are comfortable with them because:
  • You WILL have to swim at the surface. If we could have jumped-in and descended immediately (as the certified divers did) it would have been much easier, but swimming around to and then using the mooring line was more difficult than any of the dive training we had done to that point.
  • Get away from the boat once you are in the water, especially in heavy waves! My girlfriend was hesitant to swim away from it, and got a little smacked on the legs as a result (lucky it wasn't worse).
  • If possible, go on a boat that has ONLY certification students. I think the operation trying to squeeze-in our checkout dives on the same trips as certified, experienced divers on their trips put us under more time pressure and limited our options when difficulties arose.
  • If you do become uncomfortable with the environment and/or conditions, call it off. You don't want to make yourself miserable or, more importantly, put yourself in danger. This trip was beyond our comfort level.
Here's what I don't get... why did you have to do anything different than the certified divers other than having an instructor with you? Descending can be done by students exactly the same was as certified divers do it. In fact, in my opinion, it should be. Perhaps not in the exact location but that's typically based on the suitability for teaching in a particular location.

Also, why weren't you setting up gear BEFORE you had a time crunch? The instructor should have made sure you weren't rushed and that you understood your gear. Familiarity is good but being rushed, familiar or not, is not safe.

Surface swimming is a chore, no way around that. You can descend a few feet and avoid the surface swim a lot of the time, but at some point you'll have to do it. Your points about getting away from the boat are important, especially in rougher waters.

I don't think it's feasible to think you're going to get a boat with only students unless you specifically arrange it for a class. It might be nice but every boat I've been on (all 4) has had a mix of certified divers and students.

Your last point is the most important one (and sometimes the most difficult) to remember. You can always thumb a dive, before or during. It's always better to call it than to have an accident.

Here's what I don't get... why did you have to do anything different than the certified divers other than having an instructor with you?

You have to follow the training standards. Certain aspects reviewed and performed on each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom