Boat Charter For Coral Research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ruminari

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A little background - My wife is pursuing her Ph. D in Chemistry at the University of Idaho and is doing a portion of her research on coral bleaching. For part of the study she will need to sample specimens in their natural environment. Currently she is writing a grant proposal for her research and needs to get an estimate for chartering a dive boat for 4-5 days in the Keys.

Can anyone recommend a good dive boat charter service in the Keys? The boat does not need to be large as it will only need to carry my wife and myself as divers, possibly a DM as well. She is currently looking into chartering an entire boat so that it will provide her the freedom to perform her research.

Thanks for your replies.

I support any research that will help us understand and preserve the marine environment, and I support your wife's research. Before you come, it is against Florida law to take live coral in Florida waters and it is against federal law to take coral in a marine sanctuary. I'm sure there are research exeptions and permits available. Please make sure your wife has the necessary permits. Good luck.

---Bob

Bob - She's aware of the restrictions on coral harvesting and she has looked briefly into acquiring specimens for scientific purposes. From the surface there doesn't appear to be any major concerns, but I think that she feels that will be something to deal with a little later. But thanks for the heads up, this could have been an easily overlooked, fundamental concern.

ScubaBOBuba:
I support any research that will help us understand and preserve the marine environment, and I support your wife's research. Before you come, it is against Florida law to take live coral in Florida waters and it is against federal law to take coral in a marine sanctuary. I'm sure there are research exeptions and permits available. Please make sure your wife has the necessary permits. Good luck.

---Bob

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom