Boat anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK a bit of humor I have 2 Danford anchor for sale 3000-4000 lbs each I bet you that you will have no problem anchoring your boat with one of those, that is if your boat can handle it.

Tiny Bubbles:
What kind of anchor do you currently have and how heavy is it? How much chain do you have and how thick is it?

I can't imagine a bucket of concrete holding any better than a proper anchor.

I havn't read all this thread yet, but I'm going to respond to this anyways...

My favorite lake to dive in has a rock bottom. No conventional anchor will hold, because there is nothig to hold to. However, last time I went, I took a cinder block to try as a dead-weight anchor. Worked like a charm. I even anchored off with it and spent the night on my boat. I and making one of the "bucket" anchors right now. If you decide to make one, be sure to sandwich the biggest washer you can find between 2 nuts on the bottom of your eye-bolt. This way it cant work it's way loose from the concrete.

FD

PS- ok, now that I have finished the thread...

Most of you seem to be confusing an oceanic boat anchor with ocean waves to the needs of us inlanders. On our man-made lakes we have 3 types of bottoms; sand, clay or rock with varying amounts of silt on top of these. Our worst waves are nothing compared to ocean waves.

On a small lake in fair weather, a bucket-o-concrete will probably be alright.

I know of some people around here who will ease their boats into the shallows, and then just run the outdrive all the way down so that it sticks into the bottom instead of anchoring!

-Tiny-B.

ScubaToneDog:
Too much chain is not good.....no matter the length, the weight of the chain should not outweigh the anchor. Too long and heavy of a chain will reduce the necessary force to set the anchor....as far as your anchor line, 3-5 times the depth for calm to moderate seas and 6-8 times for strong to heavy. Your creating an angle between you and your anchor...25-35 degrees is optimal. The steeper the angle (45-60) the less likely hood it will stick...The smaller the boat the more scope you will need to keep it set. As far as anchors go, bigger is not always better for small boats either. Get the appropriate size and weight for your boat....see your local boat shop for their recomendation.

Always have a Boat Bunny.....then you never need to worry about your boat getting away....

In some conditions all chain rode is exactly what you want and in most conditions your chain rode should out weigh your anchor.
Anchoring is an art form. Ocean differes from lakes. Most everything has been covered here very well with well though out responses. I just wanted to add a couple of thoughts. If your going to try the dead weight method Id recomend a non round shape. A bucket would tip over, roll and can then be drug. Also a five gallon bucket is going to weigh close to 100 pounds, too much to be pulling by hand.
It sounds like your working in rocky or shale conditions? If thats the case, try a smaller fishermans anchor. Looks like a big pick on each end with a removable cross bar to make it set. Then since your diving anyway, go check your anchor first thing and set it by hand if need be. Good luck!

Tiny Bubbles:
I know of some people around here who will ease their boats into the shallows, and then just run the outdrive all the way down so that it sticks into the bottom instead of anchoring!

-Tiny-B.

Not a good idea. It will wreak havoc on the shaft bearings going through the stern to your outdrive if any waves rock the boat up and down. My boss ruined both his doing just that method.

rcain1:
I have a "regular" fluke anchor with about 6ft of 3/8th chain.
It never seems to grab the bottom. I don't throw it, i lower it like it is supposed to be done.

I have not read the whole tread so sorry if this has already been said but....

Your anchor chain should be 1 - 1.5 times the length of your boat.

In addition to knowing the correct anchor for the bottom type, consider you can also become personally involved in the placing of the anchor too. I often anchor into a rocky bottom, just using a mushroom anchor with a bunch of chain. I follow the line down and make certain the anchor is set... stick it in a crack or pile the Mother of all Rocks onto the anchor to hold the sucker. In addition, I generally throw out a second anchor, especially if there is a breeze. Years ago, I was returning to my anchor line just as the shackle parted. I kicked like hell and caught the end of the line, effectively becoming a sea anchor. The boat would have drifted 150 miles to the other side of Georgian Bay in Lake Huron. Ever since - two anchors!

If it is blowing out, I will sometimes even run a reel back to my anchor line, so if it drags, I'll feel it. This kind of limits your range, but I dive mostly deeper wrecks, so I don't wander too far anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom