Blurry Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxG

Reaction score
I just bought a Scubapro Fino mask. With it, my underwater distance vision is blurry, like I'm out of the water without my glasses. I have 20/50 vision, but never needed corrective lenses underwater.

I don't have blurry vision with my old mask (old single lens US Divers mask) or my swimming goggles. I sat in one end of a swimming pool, swapping between the three, and the Fino mask is blurry underwater. The others aren't.

I can return the mask, but I still need a new one. Are some masks better at correcting vision than others? What do I avoid/look for?

(out of the water, looking through the mask while wearing my glasses, there's no blurriness, so I don't think the mask has faulty glass. Also, it's not a fogging issue.)

Like many of these plaintiff cries, little information is provided. Certainly not enough to dissect this problem. I will assume what you claim is true and proffer an educated guess. The Fino mask is available in clear or black silicone. I assume you bought the clear model. A clear skirt will add light to your mask causing the backside of the glass to be illuminated. The additional light will cause your eyes to focus on the normally invisible film present on uncleaned glass, eg instead of the underwater scene and therefore causing blurryness. This is common among nearsighted people although the glass usually needs to be set slightly further away, especially if the diver is past 40. The solution is to get a black mask.

pescador775:
Like many of these plaintiff cries, little information is provided. Certainly not enough to dissect this problem. I will assume what you claim is true and proffer an educated guess. The Fino mask is available in clear or black silicone. I assume you bought the clear model. A clear skirt will add light to your mask causing the backside of the glass to be illuminated. The additional light will cause your eyes to focus on the normally invisible film present on uncleaned glass, eg instead of the underwater scene and therefore causing blurryness. This is common among nearsighted people although the glass usually needs to be set slightly further away, especially if the diver is past 40. The solution is to get a black mask.
Thanks, but the Fino is black silicone. My old US Divers mask is black neoprene. The swimming goggles are clear. I'm not sure what other information would be helpful, but here's everything I can think of: The Fino and the goggles have two lenses each, the Fino's are tempered glass, the goggles, plastic. The US Divers mask is also tempered glass, but one piece, not two. The Fino and the goggles fit well, are comfortable, & without leaks. The US Divers mask leaks around the worn neoprene skirt. Conditions are an outdoor pool in midday sun. The water temp is 82F, the length of the pool, 35ft, DE-filtered crystal-clear. Near vision for all three (less than 10 ft away) is fine. Distance vision (35ft) is fine for all but the Fino. Vision test #1 is counting the bars on the pool drain grate located in the deep end while kneeling on the bottom in the shallow end breathing through a snorkel. Vision test #2 is the clarity of the reflection of the chrome ladder in the deep end, again, while kneeling on the bottom in the shallow end w/snorkel. With the Fino, I can't see the bars on the grate, and the chrome reflection is blurry.

I'll take another look at the problem but need to check something first. It is possible that you are squinting with the "clear vision" masks but not with the Fino.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom