Blue Water Diviers, Tortola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptSaaz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone else dive with this outfit out of the island of Tortola in the BVI's? We went out with them on a 2 tank dive to the RMS Rhone. All the tanks on the boat averaged about 2800psi and a couple only 2700psi.

Is it me or shouldn't we be getting 3000psi? I questioned the boat captain about who fills the tanks and he said they do their own. I mentioned how they were all short and he gave me the "Well we fill them in this heat and can't fill them any higher"". Excuse me? It's 90F+ here on Long Island and my local shop will fill them to 3200-3300 so that when they cool down they will be back to 3000. The liveaboard I was on in April always got them o 3000psi.

Feel like this was a bit of a either laziness or a rip. Fighting a strong current on the first dive and a bit of current with surge on the second, air consumption was higher than normal for everyone and almost becamce a serious issue with a couple of divers.

Darn, I hate to hear this. We've booked with Blue Water Divers for our trip to Tortola in early September. Other than the tank fills, what did you think of them? Was the diving good? This is our first trip to the BVI. Thanks in advance!

I always go to Virgin Gorda in the BVI, so I've never dove with Blue Water divers. However I do have a question for you: Did a big English guy named Ken work on the boat you went on?

I do wish they had soemthign to eat or snack between dives. They just had water and lemonade on board. The DM's were fine, knew the wreck well and took time to tell the story of the Rhone and how she came to be there.

Yes, it was Ken and I think he was an Aussie.

teknitroxdiver:
I always go to Virgin Gorda in the BVI, so I've never dove with Blue Water divers. However I do have a question for you: Did a big English guy named Ken work on the boat you went on?
hi there...my husband and i are going to be on st thomas the whole month of september and will be doing a 3 or 4 night stay on virgin gorda...could you please reccomend a good dive shop/club/group to hook up with there? i have been diving with a local from st thomas in devils cove at the baths but he is going to be in the states that month ,so i could use some tips on diving there,if you please???!! thanks so much , it is much appreciated !!!!!!!!!! skye

Sure. IMO Dive BVI is the best ones to go with. www.divebvi.com They do nitrox, and have some really nice people working there. Where will you be staying on the island? Personally I like the boat and people in Leverick Bay the best, but if you're heart is set on nitrox you might have to pick the tanks up yourself in Spanishtown, but possibly not (that's where they fill nitrox).

The diving is pretty easy, SOP for Dive BVI is 'valet' diving, you grab your mask and fins and sit on the stern of the boat, they bring you your gear, and all you have to do is fall in the water. (Most people like that, I don't, so I deal with my own gear) As for the dive sites, they'll take you to a good one any day, just ask them to take you to the best site available, and they'll do their best. Turtles are very likely, stingrays are common and eagle rays are fairly common too. Lots of fish, and nice coral.

Have fun! If you have any more questions feel free to ask on here or PM me.

Don't know who uses who. I was on the windjammer Mandalay and they used BluewWater Divers of Tortola. You'd have to ask the cruise lines themselves.

We dove with UBS Dive Center http://www.scubabvi.com/html/index.html when we were in Tortola this past December. They run private charters, and if you have 4 divers, it costs the same as booking a public charter. It was amazing to have the boat to ourselves and do what we wanted. Between dives we had ginger snaps and water, then after we were done diving, they broke out the Heinekens!! We had amazing service, a great dive master/boat captain (one and the same), and were able to dive our profile.

Clearly I recommend them highly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom