Blue Stone Dive Resort, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Has anyone every been to the Blue Stone Dive Resort in Thomasville, NC? I will be in that area pretty often in the next couple of months and wanted to know what to expect.

Hi Wendy,

Bluestone is a old quarry that has been turned into a dive operation. They have fairly nice facilities. Showers, air, rental and the like. Vis varies from time to time but it's not too bad. There are several "attractions" like an old boat. The fresh water jelly fish are neat. There are 2 other quarries that you might be interested in, Fantasy Lake (aka Rolesville Quarry) located about 30 miles north of Raleigh and Lake Rawlins, located about 30 miles north of the NC border in Va. http://www.bluedolphindive.com/bluestone.htm

Rolesville quarry generally has poor, 10-15' or so of vis. Rawlings can be quite a bit higher, depending on number of people, etc. I have not been to Bluestone.

Once summer kicks in, water temp is hi 70s to mid 80s for the first 35' or so, then steadily on down the deeper you go in thermoclines. Compared to a reef they are lacking, but if you are into diving in what most people consider a salvage yard.... :)

There are also the wreck dives, inshore and offshore, that are 3 hrs. or so from Raleigh. Whole new world there.

Tommy

herman

Do have any more information on Rolesville Quarry and Lake Rawlins. Thanks for any info.

What do you want to know? I have at least 80 hrs logged under Rolesville (aka Fantasy Lake) and 4 dives under Rawlings, www.lakerawlings.com . In fact was at Rawlings yesterday with O-ring. Both are old rock quarries that have flooded. Rolesville is about twice the size of Rawlings and has deeper water...90+ at Rolesville (or so I have been told..too cold for me) and 60+ at Rawlings...also tooooo cold, it was in the very low 50's yesterday..heard one diver say he saw 49. These temps are below the 2nd thermocline, at 18 ft or so it was about 72. Of the 2, Rawlings has much better vis, facilities at both are about the same....porta potties, an air fill station and "attractions" underwater...old cars,busses,boats ect. Rolesville will NOT let swimmers in (they can come in and set on the bank but remain out of the water), Rawlings will let swimmers in as well. Rolesville is 45 mins from me and Rawlings is 2 hr, if I have the time, I will drive the extra to Rawlings, just because the vis is much better and more dependable. That answer your questions or you have something specific in mind? Be happy to try to answer it.

What part of NC will you be in?

If you can, its prolly best to try and get to the coast and do some offshore dives.

I suggest just cruisin down I-40 to Wilmington and jumpin on a charter to some of the realy fine wrecks.

Back
Top Bottom