Blue Lagoon topside questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riesfam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everyone,
Help: I need info on Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, Tx. Their website is really weak. From dive shops in Houston I have learned that you don't need any exposure suit this time of year, and the visibility should be over 20'. But what I don't know is the condition of the area ABOVE water!
Is there a restaurant close by to eat lunch or do we need to bring a picnic?
Are there shade structures on the side of the lake where certified divers go (vs. where the classes set up).
Are there restrooms or fresh water to rinse stuff?
Any info would be great.

My 13 year old son and I are new to diving. We got certified at Twin Lakes 3 weeks ago and it was horrible! Visibility was maybe 5'. At one time a group of us were supposed to follow the dive master, and we lost him after 30 seconds! We managed to get our c-cards and are eager to practice and try out new equipment, so we and my husband are diving Blue Lagoon for the first time this weekend. I am sort of a control freak, so I need to know everything before I go. Please help!

I would recommend bringing your pick nick basket as it is quite a drive back to civilization. :popcorn:

It is rustic camping I myself have camped there three times and there really is no fresh water rinse or anything that we were able to find. We had a great time it was quite and peacefully at night and nice during the day, there are man made covers and plenty of shade tees in the area. :wink:

I dove with my skin the last time that I was there without a problem. I will say this there is not much marine life due to the high alkali levels but if your going to relax and get some dive time in and want to work on your boyance this is the place for you. :fish:

You will also find that there is a fill station ran by AirPhils him and his family are great people they came out on Friday night to top our tanks off on there own time. All and all we had a great time and would defiantly do it again, hope this helps. :texas:

I haven't been there since Memorial day weekend and I dove with my 3mm shorty. I could have dove with shorts and a t-shirt then. But I always at least wear my shorty.

They do have covered tables but I believe they can be reserved, not too sure how they work that. There are alot of trees, depending on where you want to pitch your tent. There are port-a-potties but no running water or showers anywhere.

I can't say much about how close anything is as I have always taken enough things and planned not to leave until I head home. The first time I was there last year it seemed I drove about 7 to 10 miles before I saw anything, I may have taken the road less traveled also.

I do enjoy diving there. It is a nice relaxed, peaceful, stress-free setting to dive in. There is not a whole lot to search for underwater, a couple of boats, some (rings) made of PVC piping to swim thru, but you can definately practice some good skills.

Thanks to everyone. It sounds like a perfect place to do some practicing. It's going to make a long trip for one day, 100 miles from home, but at least the visibility should be good. I was so freaked out during that cert-dive that I almost came up as soon as I went down to the platform!

We'll be there for a day-trip on Sunday. From Katy that's about 100 mi each way as well. Most expensive part of the trip will be the gasoline.

Hey everybody. Thanks for the advice. I thought I would give more information for anyone that is needing info in the future:
First, the road out there (exit 123) is asphalt for about 2 miles, then a dirt road for the last 2 miles. There are no markers anywhere. My husband was convinced that we were lost till we came upon the gate (on the left)
The parking lot is a limestone rock bed, and once you sign in and they assign you a dive site, your vehicle has to navigate the terrain. He specifically assigned us to the "beach" area because he didn't think our van could make it to other areas available. As it was, we were climbing over boulders and across "ditches" in the limestone.
Several sites were reserved for check-out dives and for families. I guess we were lucky, and we got there early in the morning.
Each assigned site had a 12'x 12' concrete pad with a picnic bench, grill, large trash can, and lattice covering. Set among the pine trees, it was quite peaceful. People in shelters around us brought their families and hung out during test dives. Later in the day, a family moved into the site next to us and brought the whole family (dog and all) and while the older men where diving, the kids were in rafts and swimming at the shore. WE were very glad we were leaving. They really stirred up the water.
The visibility was about 15'-20' in the morning, but probably dropped to 8-10' by the time we left (at least in the beach area).
The water temp was 88 degrees (mid-August), so diving in just our swimsuits was fine. There is nothing in that water to abraid you, and I mean NOTHING. There are a few sunken boats, but that is it. This would be a good place for someone who is afraid of creepy crawlies to get used to the environment.
There are port-a-potties, but I cannot say what condition they are in. There is no fresh water.
The closest place to get lunch is about 3 miles up I-45 (so 7 miles from Blue Lagoon), so bring lunch.
We had trouble with our rental gear, but the tank filling station on site also rents gear, which was great, because we had to rent one console and one bc!
Very friendly people, and we would make the long haul up there again, but my son found it boring with nothing in the water to look at.
Hope this helps anyone else needing info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom