blue lagoon for backup plan? do you guys like blue lagoon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hoping to do that rig dive out of port aransas on monday, memorial day, but the forecast for the gulf doesn't look good right now. it's a little too early to tell for monday yet, but we need to dive somewhere cause we have some new equipment to check out and we go on vacation in only 3 weeks now. live in sugar land (houston). considering blue lagoon....haven't been there before. and don't say twin lakes on highway 6! thanks, donna

Here is what you can expect at Blue Lagoon:

Depth will be 30' if you stick your gauge in the mud. Vis will be 2 - 20' depending on how many people beat you into the water. Temp should be getting into the 80's by now. The water has a very strange ph, so little life to be seen. There are a few sunken boats and some training platforms. Otherwise, not much to see. If the FG trip cancels, you may have a better time diving Lake Travis, especially for a gear check.

Definitely wash all of your stuff after diving Blue Lagoon.
My camera housing's buttons still have my finger prints reverse etched from where the water etched the chrome away from where I did not touch the buttons. If you're planning on diving more than one tank, call ahead to see if the compressor will be up. A couple of weeks ago, it was down for maintenance and there were a few surprised people at the gate.
Wife and I still use it for shakedown dives, though, since it is a heck of a lot closer than Austin.

thanks for the tips! it looks like the gulf forecast is going to settle down for monday, so i'm thinking we'll be going. i sure hope so.

What rig dive are you going on out of POC? What's the name of the outfitter?

I've been working offshore and in the oilfield for about 8 years now and have NEVER been diving on any of the rigs! It's killing me. In fact during my Flower Gardens trip or rig dive was cancelled because some goof balls couldn't get the ride the anchor rope up thing right.

Hope your trip goes well, I'm hopin to go on a rig dive soon.

Cheers!

We went once in March and although it was pretty darn cold, we enjoyed our dives, since it was a new site for us. The vis was about 10 ft in the "training lake", and being newbies to BL, we didn't know about the other lake- appeared to have quite a bit more clarity, when we found it after packing our gear to go home. We would like to go back and camp out, seemed to be a quite pleasant place to spend a weekend of easy diving and groovy surface intervals. Although we really prefer sites with lots of aquatic life, it's still diving.

we're going on the Orion with Mike McGlini i may not have that last name just right. i just checked the forecast again, looks like it will be ok. i'll do a trip report when we get back.

donnad:
we're going on the Orion with Mike McGlini i may not have that last name just right. i just checked the forecast again, looks like it will be ok. i'll do a trip report when we get back.

Have fun, glad you get to go on your Gulf trip! Also, go to BL someday, it's always fun to check out a new site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom