Blue lagoon and athens scuba park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teknadv3x

Contributor
Reaction score
Blue lagoon and athens scuba park have hundreds of repeat diver/customers go back there every year. I was wondering why you might think that is so?

Just curious about it.
Dave

One big reason is the majority, at least at Blue Lagoon, is students and instructors. We spent every other weekend there for about 3 years while divemastering OW classes. That's also why I have no chrome left on my old first stage! That alkaline water is tough on your gear.

Until Twin Lakes opened, we drove the two hours to Blue Lagoon to fun dive, too. But now, TL is not only closer to my house, the water is clean and it's not dead water.

When its all there is for local diving then thats where you go.

Its more than what some people have.

TwoBit

Houston Hammerheads tried to book overnite at Blue Lagoon for next weekend. dive camp out dive.Warmup for vacations. Were told if werent with instructor or dive shop could not camp. This is not "customer friendly". I can see prohibiting college kids from camping(i heard they had some incidents in past) but 30+40+50 year old adults? i camped once at the lagoon and did not like it. At this point will only go to lagoon when instructors i know are going there. too far and nothing to see.

They did loosen up and allow a dive shop group to camp, it used to be with Instructors only. But that's always been the policy. We were always told it was to control drinking and night diving. And someone's age doesn't keep them from acting stupid...but I know what you're trying to say.

The owners aren't too concerned about being customer friendly. There hasn't been any improvements made in years. In fact, there's not been much maintainence done either. The u/w platforms are falling apart, as are the wooden shelters and picnic tables. Port-o-cans are few and far between and always need attention. They hire rude college kids who couldn't care less as long as you pay your $15 per day per person...unless it went up this year as rumored.

TwoBit...I meant to include that in my previous post. People use what they have available or do without. We're lucky we have the choices we do and aren't landlocked in some western desert state!

Blue Lagoon is terrible. It's is better than nothing at all, but I could get just about as excited diving in the neighbors pool. Drive up to Austin and head out to Windy Point. At least once you're finished diving you can head out to Carlos and Charlies or over to hula hut and then on to sixth st or something. There's nothing sunk at Windy Point like that nail-infested plane or boat, but unless you are the first one in BL, you won't see anything anyway. I did my check-outs there and a couple of follow ups to get gear config/setup the way I wanted it. Nothing inland is going to be earth shattering like the flowergardens or Coz, but I don't like frequenting places where the folks frankly don't even seem like they want you there.

Know what you mean about no maintenance. Was out there week ago last weekend with n. harris kingwood college class. Bad storm night before had knocked buoys off the ropes marking the platforms. We had to go back and reset two buoys so we could have class. Seems like Clay(runs air stand) who doesnt even own or lease place is the only one attempting to do any maintenance. A old boat was sunk in lagoon 1 using a barrell with holes in it. We retrieved his barrel for him so he could cut it up for a bbq pit. He is always appreciative and would not take my money for an air fill when i was getting tank filled before leaving. They have folders for each shop on sign in table. seems like there were fewer than before.

Back
Top Bottom