Blue Island Divers, St. Thomas is first rate! A REVIEW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

Just a short blurb about one of the dive operators I dealt with during my Cruise last week.

I made six dives, two a day, on three different islands and my favorite by far was the Blue Island Divers operation from Crown Bay marina on St. Thomas. This is a low stress, low key operation that made for some good diving.

I contacted the dive shop via the internet only, and set up the dives with a credit card number. Their website http://www.blueislanddivers.com is quite complete and explained how to meet the boat at the cruise ship pier at WICO on St. Thomas. Mostly, you just walk to the end of the pier, and wait for the dive boat to pull up, identify yourself and they take you on board and you are on the way to the dive site. I walked down and held up my divelog which has a cover like a dive flag and very easy to see, when I saw what appeared to be their boat. I was right, and in a few minutes they were at the dock and we were on-board.

We made two dives, there were three divers onboard, one fellow was finishing his training, myself and a gal Karen from the UK. We made our first dive on the navy barges in about 40 feet of water. Had a good predive briefing with the divemaster and then into the water! Swam first one barge, around and through, and then finned over to the other some 100 yards away, and did the same thing. At dives end, a 3 minute safety stop was made at 15 feet, and we swam to the surface and entered the boat. As they don't use a dive ladder, we removed weights and handed them to the divemaster who was first onboard, then the divemaster assisted us in removing our tanks/BC's and at the next wave, you hopped up on the swim platform and over the transom of the 25' boat.

Second dive was Sprats Point Reef, a very healthy reef again at 40 feet or so. Lots of fish, good healthy reef with several swim threws and plenty to see. Both dives, had water temps in the high 70's and air temps in the mid 80's with visability around 60 feet or so.

After the dive, we had the option of going directly back to the pier, or to the dive shop at Crown Point Marina. Decision was made for the shop and the resturant next door for a bit to eat and something liquid. There, we got to talk to the boats Captain, Aitch the owner of the shop and the other divers, fill out dive logs and so on. I had to approach Aitch with the idea of paying him, he seemed more interested in if I enjoyed myself. I made sure to tip for the dives, and have promised to head back that way very soon as they have about 100 dive sites nearby and St. Thomas is a great place to visit. I like the fact that St. Thomas is part of the USVI and no currency exchange is necessary. Also, there prices were quite reasonable at $80 for the two dives with me providing all my own gear but weights and tanks. Packages of more dives are available at a pretty substantial discount and next time, I'll buy a 10 dive package.

Let me state for the record, that this is NOT your cattle boat operation. They rarely take more than 6 divers at a time. The boat is NOT plush and new, but is well set-up for the kind of diving that they do provide. I was very happy with the service and the staff associated with the shop and WILL be back in St. Thomas in a year or so, for more warm water diving with these guys.

Drop me a line with questions or comments!

I did the same Navy barge dive a couple years ago. Very enjoyable. Shallow but good vis and neat penetrations. :D

If you do a non-cruise visit to St. Thomas... the Rennaisance is a decent hotel. It is part of the Marriot system but rooms can be had for $99 a night.

They have a dive shop associated with them (on the premises) call Sawyers Dive Shop and they do a real nice job as well...and.. yes you can use them even if you are not staying at the hotel.

similar price as you have stated as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom