Blue Hole Trip and other dive places?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input, I am going to speak to my old man and brother to see if they are interested. We are going for my sister's wedding.

When doing the 3 dive day trip, when do you leave and when do you get back? I think they would like that info before we can make a decision. Who all goes, I have heard good things about Amigos and we dove w/ Island Divers last time.

Kind Regards,

Hostage

Island divers good op too but will probably still book you on amigos for BH day trip. Check that in advance. Don't want to end up on a small boat. Blue hole day is early and long. Think it leaves around 5:30! Get back to dock about 5:30 p.m.

Some really fun dives, which no dive shops do here, would be to go to the cuts and do true, "drift" dives. This is where you'll find the best concentrations of fish. The cuts down this way are 50 feet deep inside the reef. Start in or out, depending on the tide and lay on the bottom....moving real slow in or out. You'll see the best concentrations of fish that way. Hard for dms to herd the crowd but ....

When you guys mention thermocline, how "cold" are you talking about temp wise? The thermocline up in NY is about ~40*, granted I wear a dry suit. I do have a 5mm jacket wetsuit that I am comfortable in the 70's. I also have a 2mm shorty.

---------- Post Merged at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:55 AM ----------

When you guys mention thermocline, how "cold" are you talking about temp wise? The thermocline up in NY is about ~40*, granted I wear a dry suit. I do have a 5mm jacket wetsuit that I am comfortable in the 70's. I also have a 2mm shorty.

Lol don't worry about this thermocline. I barely notice it. It's only few degrees. Thermocline ha Lol

Ramon's?? Come on.

It took about three hours for us to get from San Pedro to the Blue Hole. We left San Pedro at 6 am and arrived at the Blue Hole around 9 am. I would say that the Blue Hole dive *by itself* is overrated, but that the Blue Hole trip *in its entirety* (three dives, lunch, and the stop at the Caye) was well worth the money. We had a great group on the boat and had lots of fun. The second and third dives were great. The lunch and the picnic were great. Would I recommend a trip to see *only* the Blue Hole? No. The whole day *in its entirety* was well worth it.

Indeed, the BH itself is a "yes, I went there" dive. The second and third dives were the most incredible dives of my life. We saw sharks, turtles, dolphins, rays, skates, and more fishes than you could count in a lifetime.

Bring sunblock, you'll want it for the SI.

You'll leave early, crack of dawn, 0600 from your hotel (they'll pick you up) and you'll get back about 12 hours later.

The thermocline in the BH is like going from the heated kiddie pool to the not-as-heated adult pool. Vis is crap due to the depth (which is not 130' like they'll tell you but significantly deeper, 150'+), but you'll probably see some sharks. I didn't bother with the 2.5mm for the second two dives.

Oh, and make friggin' sure you get dive insurance that prepays AND doesn't have a depth restriction.

Hi chillyinCanada...yep Ramon's. And believe it or not one of the reasons we list it is because I have people ask for the place by name, and they love it. We also book Hamanasi, Turneffe Island Resort, Turneffe Flats, and a couple of other places in Belize not on our website. For sure, not every resort is for every traveller. Lots of folks love CoCo View on Roatan but it is one of my absolute least favorite dive resorts. So you just can never predict what a person will like or not like. We typically list a number of resorts to give new travellers a starting point, find out what kind of traveller they are, dive experience and cert level, budget, and other info that will help us get them to the resort that will give them the experience they want. At the end of the day, people are paying good money to have a vacation their way and we do our best to satisfy our clients who often end up being our dive buddies on group trips.

Excellent response Liquid. Sorry I didn't hold myself back initially. Yes, as I regrettably set out, I'm not a Ramon's fan, but also do understand why some people like it. That said, Ramon's also has a very strong broad marketing/advertising program.

Back
Top Bottom