Blue Heron-caught by the tide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, we were told to be in the water at 9:45, that high tide was at 10:15 and to be out of the water by 10:30.
The time given by the dive shop was not correct and they apologized when we came back to return our tanks.
The classes were not under the bridge but on the side in the sandy areas. There was no one else under the bridge.
I never said that the instructors replied that we were fine, they did not but some of the students did.
I never saw any lifeguards or anyone else but the classes and spear fisherman.
The spear fisherman only got to us by putting their spear guns in the sand and pushing their way towards us.
We were later told that because of the rough conditions that the classes ended up being cancelled and the search and rescue class only got through one of their drills and had to stop.
I would never have expected to have been ignored by fellow divers and I can't explain it. I only know that it happened.

Ana-What a nasty thing to say to someone. Reconsider my future in diving? I won't dignify that with a response.

What did the instructors say or do?

Original statement:
...They told us to go at 9:45 am and be in by 10:30
This would contradict your next statement...
The dive shop told us that high tide was at 10:15 not 11:00 and to be back in from diving and on shore at 10:30.
All dive shops in the area recommend entering the water 1/2 hour before slack high tide. Your original statement above is definitely within the guidelines of most dive shop suggestions... Your last statement (statement quoted just above) makes no sense from any dive shop in the area. If high tide is 10:15AM, why would anyone state you need to be back on shore at 10:30AM... 15 minutes after the recommended "enter" time?

Is it possible you misheard, or misunderstood the suggestion of the dive shop? Most dive shops in the area are well versed on the tides of BHB, well versed on when to enter the water, and also well versed on when to exit the water... especially for new divers to the area...

Is it also possible that some a couple of wading fisherman caught you in the current. Perhaps they were fishing at waist level and caught you on the surface. Is it possible they caught you in the current and they had fishing poles instead of spears?

I am asking for clarification purposes.

I remember everything pretty clearly until we were able to stand in the water. My buddy said that I was in shock and dazed so I am a little fuzzy on what happened after all of this. The dazed may have been some form hitting my head so hard on the pillons. I was also shaking really badly and breathing really heavily which are signs of shock. When he saw all of this and the blood he gave me gauze and rubbing alcohol. I know that he was talking to me but I don't remember anything that he said.

Posted by CoolTech-Is it also possible that some a couple of wading fisherman caught you in the current. Perhaps they were fishing at waist level and caught you on the surface. Is it possible they caught you in the current and they had fishing poles instead of spearfishermen?

They were definately spear fisherman, dive gear and all.

Before we went, I researched the bridge and even asked the dive shop about the conditions. They told us to go at 9:45 am and be in by 10:30, they also told us that the conditions were good and that it was an easy dive.
Again, we were told to be in the water at 9:45, that high tide was at 10:15 and to be out of the water by 10:30.
Which is it? They told you to be there at 9:45AM and be in the water by 10:30AM, or be in the water at 9:45AM and out by 10:30AM?

Your original account seems very plausible... Your new account seems very unlikely...

We were screaming for help for at least 15 minutes but the classes ignored us. They even told us at one point that we were, "fine".

I never said that the instructors replied that we were fine, they did not but some of the students did.
You knew who the students were vs. the instructors while you were screaming for help? And even the instructors did not respond to your screams for help?

We were grateful that we were finally pulled out by 3 large men who were spear fishing.

I never saw any lifeguards or anyone else but the classes and spear fisherman.
The spear fisherman only got to us by putting their spear guns in the sand and pushing their way towards us.
Could these spear fisherman be wading fisherman with short fishing poles? I have received Personal Messages that concur that they were not spear fishing, but standing... wading fisherman with short poles who assisted a couple of panicked divers back to shore... (not my words, those who sent me personal messages and state they did not wish to respond to this thread... Those who went back to their vehicles in order to eliminate possible embarrassment for fellow divers)

I would never have expected to have been ignored by fellow divers and I can't explain it. I only know that it happened.
This fact we both agree on. I would not expect fellow divers to ignore anyone in distress... EVER... If it did in fact happen as you state it did (either version), it is reprehensible for an instructor or fellow diver not to assist a diver who even thinks they are in distress!

I remember everything pretty clearly until we were able to stand in the water. My buddy said that I was in shock and dazed so I am a little fuzzy on what happened after all of this. The dazed may have been some form hitting my head so hard on the pillons. I was also shaking really badly and breathing really heavily which are signs of shock. When he saw all of this and the blood he gave me gauze and rubbing alcohol. I know that he was talking to me but I don't remember anything that he said.
Who was "he"?

Mandy987,
I offer this to you and your dive partner...

I will guide you on a Blue Heron Bridge dive Sunday (OK, today...)

High Tide, based on my web site:
Blue Heron Bridge Tide Calendar April 2010

is 12:56 PM, or... 1:00 PM

Let me know if you wish to have this guided tour of Blue Heron Bridge. If so, I will PM you with the details on where/when/how to meet at Phil Foster Park.

Just to add to the pot... There is a cookout afterwards for some of us regular divers of BHB... Kind of a pot luck, if you are interested...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom