Blue Heron Bridge, (West Palm) Riviera Beach FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hah
That place is bad enough in the daytime. You couldn't pay me enough money to do a night dive there.

You didn't step on any hypodermic needles, and your car was still there when you got out, so consider it a win.
haha, you aren't the first person to say pretty much that. You'd think "America's best dive spot" or whatever they call it would be better valued by the city.

I've only had my flag stolen once, and that too was at night. What I would tend to do is, find a spot where you can leave your flag, where it is out of their way and range, and dive responsibly to avoid boats.

I called the police and they came out, I got to ride around in their squad car in my wetsuit still, they talked with the person but he denied having done anything, and the officer gave me his card with his number on it to call if I ever needed anything. I was pretty mad, but at the end of the day, a flag is nothing to lose your life over, and now I focus on outsmarting them rather than fighting them.

They have just as much right to be there as you, and you don't want to get a hook caught on yourself, either, so I would try to find the places to enjoy that don't overlap with theirs. For example, hug the shoreline in shallow water, leave your flag tied to the first piling, enjoy under the bridge but not out in the open water. On the east side, swim back out in shallow water, enjoy the area under the boat docks, then reverse to exit.

The park does sometimes have sketchy people there, but so far it hasn't been a real problem. The life you see will be different than LBTS, and both are great dive sites.

I've also had some dives with just terrible viz. One was a night dive, and I called it 5 minutes in, it just wasn't fun. Enough people dive there that you can watch the Facebook group or the thread on here, and see recent reports, but you also learn that strong storms cause runoff, and can kind of predict when it'll be less than good.

I used to run a mailing list that sent out tides weekly, but that grew onerous. I still host a simple to use tide tool but mostly use the site for gas planning tools. BHB is an awesome place and I hope you get to keep enjoying the good parts. www.divebhb.com

Wow, I only dove there once, but didn't experience anything like this. It was a weekday, during the day. Visibility was OK, not a lot of fishermen, nice people on the beach, etc. (That was when the dive shop was still at the park.) It struck me as a nice place to do a fun, easy dive.

@Basking Ridge Diver is scheduled to dive America's best dive spot in a week. Might want to read over this post before going there.

Some takeaways:
  • Have a line cutter and know how to use it.
  • Avoid the fishermen under the bridge.
  • Be aware of your surroundings, especially at night.
  • Don't leave any of your possessions unattended.

Bring a glock.

I enjoyed that underwater Glock firing story. Always wanted to try it but never have. I was worried about the noise/report and how far the round would travel.
As for BHB, it's within the city limits of Riviera Beach, which likely hasn't had a strong police chief since Burt Reynold's father had the job back in the 50s. Half of my extended family lives in Palm Beach County, and we've been swimming and diving around Peanut Island and the bridge, ocean and inlets for decades. BHB wasn't even a known diving destination until the last two decades or less. (And the legendary Frank's Dive Shop used to be right near the bridge, as well as the Crab Pot, a former local favorite restaurant.)
I've dove at the bridge a handful of times in past years and this year my wife and I went there to snorkel. We went right before slack tide, during the day, and had a picnic lunch before getting into the water. There were a lot of people around, some probably homeless, but everything seemed okay and nobody messed with us or our car. We did swim under two guys fishing, but I gave them heads up we were going to swim under their lines and we were right beneath them coming and going. I think we had a nice afternoon and we met my family at the beach for a birthday supper. This was in August.
I had forgotten to bring my dive flag down from north FL, so we rented one from Force-E, as well as got the slack tide times from them.
I told my kids when I was younger most cities and counties had vagrancy laws that seemed to deal with vagrants and their crime. You're hard pressed to find that these days....

@Basking Ridge Diver is scheduled to dive America's best dive spot in a week.
[/LIST]

I postponed until December this Hurricane is really causing issues for next week - 30 mph winds and wave 5 - 7 ft on Weds - at least that is the forecast...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom