Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1210 for a 1447 high tide. The park was crowded, but still some parking left. It was a beautiful day weather wise and water wise. Sea temp has risen to 77f, and visibility was 50+ feet. It was the first time since December have not been cold.

Entered early, at 1230 in front of the staircase to drift west over the snorkel trail. Despite it being two hours before the tide there were a lot of people already in the water on scuba and snorkel. Drifted west over trail counting fish along the way. I kind of wrestling a little bit with my camera, because I had it configured differently. Made it some what heavier, and could not quite hold it and the slate for counting fish in the same way I normally do. If you asked me to describe how I do that, I could not tell you it is second nature. So when I have to think about it, it interrupts the status quo of my dive. Still really hadn't ironed it out by the end of dive. I think I have it figured out now. We will see if things improve next week. Anyway, I digress. Did a REEF fish survey of 52 species in 65 minutes (distraction of the camera kept the count down). That makes REEF survey 100 for this year, a little behind from where I was last year. Its always a little slower going in the cooler months. Observed a Whitenose Pipefish, and Chain Pipefish today. Surprised to not see any octopi today, given the amount that were around the other day. Respectively, Chain Pipefish, Scissula similis (maybe), and Whitenose Pipefish
04-15-24 Chain Pipe.jpg
04-15-24 Tellin1.jpg
04-15-24 Whitenose.jpg

@VsubT it looks like the Octopus has a hold of a Striate Bubble. Not sure if its playing or eating. Nice lighting on the seahorse image.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1215 for a 1547 high tide. The park was not crowded when I arrived, by the time I left at 1545 it was crowded. Sea temp was 77f and visibility was similar to yesterday at 50ft.

I like to avoid rush hour traffic as much as possible so I like to leave the park before 1600 on a weekday. Also I have animals at home that like to eat dinner early. Given the blue water from yesterday, I decided to snorkel the trail three hours prior to the tide, and dive two hours prior to the tide. I was not disappointed. Water little green water there was got pushed out just ahead of my movement west as I snorkeled. Did a REEF fish survey while snorkeling of 53 species in 50 minutes. Returned to my truck and suited up for scuba. Entered the westside and stayed there until about 1515. Did another REEF survey on scuba. Of note was a small Searobin I cannot identify. Closest match I can come up with is Bandtail Searobin. But you can see in the image it has a blue spot on its dorsal, which Bandtail Searobins do not possess. Maybe its something they have as juveniles, but I could not find images of another specimen like it. Originally I thought it might be a Scorpionfish but in one image I can see the specialized fin rays like fingers possessed by Searobins. Respectively, Anemone, Phoronopsis Californica, Rainbow Parrots, Searobin, and Searobin.

04-16-24 Anemone.JPG
04-16-24 Phoronopsis Californica.JPG
04-16-24 Rainbow Parrots.jpg
04-16-24 Scorpion.jpg
04-16-24 Scorpion1.jpg

@VsubT it looks like the Octopus has a hold of a Striate Bubble. Not sure if its playing or eating. Nice lighting on the seahorse image.

Thanks for the ID, was guessing something that previously lived in a shell but had no idea beyond that. Love your posts, really appreciate all of the information you share.

The seahorse was a lot more cooperative after I switched to red on the focus light. Other images from that same dive are here if anyone is interested.

Lance

Of note was a small Searobin I cannot identify. Closest match I can come up with is Bandtail Searobin. But you can see in the image it has a blue spot on its dorsal, which Bandtail Searobins do not possess. Maybe its something they have as juveniles, but I could not find images of another specimen like it. Originally I thought it might be a Scorpionfish but in one image I can see the specialized fin rays like fingers possessed by Searobins.

View attachment 837046
That almost looks like a juvenile flying gurnard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom