Blue fingernails

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z0quik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last time I was diving, it was a simple 30' dive, I was a bit cold on the dive, but I noticed something that freaked me out a little. Under my fingernails, the nail bed was blue on pretty much all my fingers. What could this be?

Seems like when I came up at the end, they went back to normal color. I didn't really notice anyone else's doing this...

I've never heard of that, and would call DAN

Non-emergency medical questions:
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948 (Mon-Fri 8:30 - 5:00 ET)

Last time I was diving, it was a simple 30' dive, I was a bit cold on the dive, but I noticed something that freaked me out a little. Under my fingernails, the nail bed was blue on pretty much all my fingers. What could this be?

Seems like when I came up at the end, they went back to normal color. I didn't really notice anyone else's doing this...

My *guess* would be constricted blood vessels in extremities due to your being cold, causing a lack of circulation in your fingertips leading to the blue coloration. I'm sure some of our medical members will be along in due time to offer a more informed opinion.

here are a couple of things:

Blue nails
May be indicative of pulmonary obstruction, emphysema or lung disease. Blue fingernails may represent a type of cyanosis caused by a lower level of lack of circulating oxygen in the red blood cells. It may also represent a high level of an abnormal form of hemoglobin in the circulation. If normal color returns upon warming and/or massage, the cause is due to the body part not getting enough blood supply due to cold, constriction (of the tissues or the blood vessels that supply the tissues) or some other reason. If the fingernails remain blue, then there may be an underlying disease or structural abnormality interfering with the body’s ability to deliver oxygenated red blood to the body.

Especially if your hands were cold, and if color returned to normal on rewarming, I'd lay odds on cold-induced vasoconstriction. Everybody has a degree of this, but some people have blood vessels that are more reactive to cold than those of others. In the extreme case, it's termed Reynaud's syndrome, and people can actually develop gangrene from it.

Thanks guys, yeah lately I do get cold hands at work but Ive done that fingernail test where you squeeze the fingernail and it turns white, then when you let go, it should turn red/pink again within a couple seconds. Ive talked to Dr about Raynauds and he has done blood test and finger test and are negative. Could just be that i was cold and do have a slight vascular issue in my extremities...as soon as i got to the surface they were normal color.

Thanks guys, yeah lately I do get cold hands at work but Ive done that fingernail test where you squeeze the fingernail and it turns white, then when you let go, it should turn red/pink again within a couple seconds. Ive talked to Dr about Raynauds and he has done blood test and finger test and are negative. Could just be that i was cold and do have a slight vascular issue in my extremities...as soon as i got to the surface they were normal color.

This may be the answer.... if you were looking underwater, the color will not look right unless you shine a light on them. Reds are the first colors to go and they will look a lot more blue/black even at fairly shallow depths. Blood at 30 ft looks black.

Back
Top Bottom