Blue Cave - Okinawa suitability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend of mine will be in Okinawa and wants to take a Discover Scuba type program. She'll be staying in Uruma (I think that's right), around the center of Okinawa Island, on the west side at the apex of a large bay. Her Japanese travel guide lists a site called Blue Cave which is about 7 meters deep and seems to be more a cavern with direct surface access than a true cave. Actually, it looks like a nice site I wouldn't mind diving myself, however I'm wondering if anyone knows that site and if it is really suitable for a trial dive. Her guidebook says Trial OK! My instinct is to wave her off, however I haven't heard of a huge spate of deaths or accidents in Okinawa related to the site. Can anyone WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE SITE give me their opinion please? Also, can anyone recommend any Japanese operators in the vicinity for a trial diver (I'd hate to lose my friend).
Thanks

Blue Cave at Maeda Misaki is the site of 100's of intro and snorkeling classes/dives every day and has been for a couple years. Its as safe as any ocean site for intro dives can be. Do you have a hotel name where she is staying and I can reccomend an operator near the area.

Thanks for the input. I know Japan is a "safety country" and all, but I just wanted some local knowledge. I've had some run ins with some un-safety operators. I'll certainly find out the name of her hotel, and re-post here next week. Thanks again, and I'll certainly dive with you next time I'm down in Okinawa! You guys do Blue Cave?

If the customer requests we do Blue Cave its normally crowded with snorkelers and DSD's to the point of overcrowding on most days.

Just about every operation on the island dives that spot it seems... J-D is on target - in the summer you are more in danger of getting kicked in the head by someone that anything else happening to you! This time of year has fewer divers in the area though. It can be a very beautiful spot - particularly on a bright sunny day as you come out towards the exit of the cavern... Beautiful on a decent day, breathtaking on a good day!

The only limitation now is some construction near the parking lot but that is easy enough to get around on most days. The cave itself is not very far from the entry point at that spot.

Lots of operators on the island though not many off base that cater to non-Japanese speakers. If she has a military or dependent ID card, there are dive shops on each base.

I live here in Uruma city. PM if you want some info about the area.

Yeah - there aren't too many dive shops off base which cater to non-Japanese speakers. Ark Dive on the Sunabe seawall always try their best to help the foreign speakers, and their prices for gear rental aren't too bad. Another shop in that area would be Island Message; they also try to speak English although their level isn't that good.

Enjoy your diving in Okinawa:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom