Blue Angel Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Ron, and Everyone else for that matter, for this VERY informative and helpful TR!!:D Me and my better half will be hitting the BA on Nov. 29th for 10 days. I've been diving in Coz before (From Playa/Ferry/BA), so I'm familiar with some of the DiveOP and hotel exterior/restaurant. You all filled in the "Blanks" very nicely :D One question I do have though, is we've already paid for our 8 dive days and they said we'd schedule when we get there. Is it like some dive ops where you sign up the day before for the sites (or boat) you want the next day? Thanks!!

Greg

One question I do have though, is we've already paid for our 8 dive days and they said we'd schedule when we get there. Is it like some dive ops where you sign up the day before for the sites (or boat) you want the next day? Thanks!!

Greg

It was our experience that the 'schedule' was whether or not you went on the 8am boats, or if they have one going, a 1pm boat. We did one afternoon instead of morning just to have a day to sleep in. Two days we actually added a twilight/night trip (if you have three divers going) and those were great too. Boats seem to be assigned by the shop, they put the more experienced divers on one boat, and put the newer divers. or new arrivals that they they haven't seen dive yet on another boat. Some days, there were several boats going out, other days, there were only 8 divers total. Sites were chosen by consensus on the boat.

Hey Sideways: I take a stab at trying to answer those questions.
The sites are usually chosen on the boat, the DM's will ask everyone where they want to go.
Exceptions would be Baracuda and San Juan to the north.
Although I usually get one day diving there during my stay.
Jeanie likes to sign people up in advance, probably to match up skills and keep things going smoothly as there are usually two boats going out in the morning.
Hope to see you and your better half there as well. We arrive on the 26th.
I see your from HB. We went diving at ship rock/Catalina yesterday and the weather was ideal, plus the VIS was the best I've seen in years. If you get a chance to do ship rock, man it is a must do.

Nice trip report. We never went to the same dive destination twice, until now. We will return to the Blue Angel for the 3rd year in a row next May. It''s still the best place on the island! Like you said, can't beat that view every morning!

Hey Sideways: I take a stab at trying to answer those questions.
The sites are usually chosen on the boat, the DM's will ask everyone where they want to go.
Exceptions would be Baracuda and San Juan to the north.
Although I usually get one day diving there during my stay.
Jeanie likes to sign people up in advance, probably to match up skills and keep things going smoothly as there are usually two boats going out in the morning.
Hope to see you and your better half there as well. We arrive on the 26th.
I see your from HB. We went diving at ship rock/Catalina yesterday and the weather was ideal, plus the VIS was the best I've seen in years. If you get a chance to do ship rock, man it is a must do.

Howdy Blue :) It will be awesome to meet you guys at the end of Nov! I haven't been to Catalina the last 2 summers. I'm seriously spoiled as a tropical diver...:rofl3: Our last 2 summers have been a lil too chilly for us. Hopefully next year! Yeah, I love Ship and Bird rock, awesome dives!

Greg

Haven't been there in a few years, but glad to hear it hasn't changed much.

I miss hearing the clanking of air tanks in the morning, and the spectacular view!

coz_08_Saturday113Medium.jpg

oops, sorry sideways, we are going October 26, not November 26. My brain is slow, maybe the cold water, darn thermocline.

Darn... well...maybe we can hook up next summer for a Catalina trip :)

Man...that pic looks very tranquilo Doc :cool2:

Another nice thing BA does with their grouping is the DM seem to notice which groups are doing well together and they try to keep them together if possible. My wife and I ended up diving with the same family of three for several days in a row because we just hit it off and wanted similar dive sites and dove at a similar pace. We never said a word to the DM or the shop, they just grouped us. It was so nice getting on the boat with divers we felt comfortable with. It really reduces pre-dive stress and any prolonged decisions/ discussions about dive sights, because the 5 of us had been to so many of the same places together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom