Blood from nose after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octgal:
Is this true, its not as big of a deal as I thought? Personally i feel that ANY blood after a dive cannot be a good sign!

thoughts welcome
thanks

Stuff happens. To be safe, find an ENT who understands divers. (or is one) There are some things you don't want to dive with, but most likely this will go away as you learn to clear early and often. You might even try to gently valsalva BEFORE you start your descent.

On the positive side, you are self-chumming, and may attract some cool fish.

DiveGolfSki:
Vertigo? :11: Are you sure you didn't bust an eardrum?

Yes, I'm sure. Dr. Piccolo checked my ears and he's Cozumel's top diving doc. Piccolo said that the air rushing through the eustachian tube with a lot of force can cause the cochlear hairs?? to vibrate. It was my left ear so I spent some minutes with a cleared right and uncleared left which can cause dizziness in and of itself. The vertigo lasted a few minutes, but they were looonnng minutes. I take congestion very seriously now.

When I first went diving in colder water, I was coming up with some blood in my mask, which I only noticed when others mentioned it. No apparent sinus problems at the time, for all I know I do it in warm water as well but as I tend to remove my mask in the water then, it just might not be noticeable.

It didn't worry me much, likely wouldn't have even if I hadn't known it was common when diving, but it seemed to freak out a few of the divemasters-in-training that were there at the time...

If there's a little blood in the nose of my mask, it's probably nothing to worry about.
If, on the other hand, I'm hanging around on dry land having not been anywhere near water recently, and my nose just starts spurting blood at random, getting drops of blood on stuff and taking about 10 minutes and a large pile of kleenex to get under control, then you might consider worrying.

Even if it's *still* no big deal, it's a bit more polite than being completely oblivious and after it's over and I've dumped the pile of kleenex, denying it ever happened and saying I was just making it up to get attention, even though you were sitting across the table from me the entire time (on your cell phone, of course). That's just rude.

Mask boxes are halfway decent for storing tissues on a boat, in the absence of any sort of dry bag.

MikeFerrara:
I've rarely seen "flow" after a dive. It's usually an interesting mix of blood and snot that shoots out when the air in the blocked up sinuses expands on ascent. Either way, since I'm not a physician I wouldn't make any disinction between "flow" and "minor blood smudges" when as a diver and dive instructor I know that niether should be happening.

For some strange reason, it's never occurred to me to analyze the stuff in the nose of my mask for snot content when I surface. Yummy.

I've taken to quickly rinsing my mask right after I surface now, so no one has to see whatever kind of icky stuff might be in there.

MikeFerrara:
Shame on your instructor and those here who would suggest that it makes sense to continue diving when you're comming up with blood in your mask or having trouble descnding because of equalization problems!

Interesting how nobody's ever suggested I stop breathing until a doctor's ok'd me to start again after a land based nosebleed...

CD_in_Chitown:
I tend to agree with that statement, although I have a dive buddy that gets a nosebleed on almost every dive I've made with him. It gives me the heeby-geebies to see him take his mask off and have blood smeared across his face, he just wipes it off and goes on about his post-dive euphoria.

Hello CD,

I knew someone who normally had nosebleeds on the surface about once a month. He took Scuba lessons and everything was going well (no clearing issues) and on the next dive he had a blood in his mask on desent for no good reason. It turned out he was forgetting to add air to his mask while desending and the resulting light mask squeeze was enough to rupture his weakened blood vessles in his nose. After he corrected his skills he had no further nose bleeds. Regards

Alan

asaara:
Interesting how nobody's ever suggested I stop breathing until a doctor's ok'd me to start again after a land based nosebleed...

:06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom