Question Blending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum and if it is please move.
This may be a stupid and often asked question but my quick search did not find anything. I have two tanks same size at basically the same fill pressure. one has 30% and the other 32% O2. If I connect them with a transfill whip will they blend and find the middle 32%? In my head this seems the theoretical outcome but practically i'm not sure they will mix or at least very much or very fast..

If the tanks are equal pressure, there isn't going to be much transfer between them. There is nothing to move the gas between the tanks. Eventually, after a long wait, both will have the same mix. But their is no way to tell how long that will take. Days? Weeks? Months?

If they are unequal pressure, the gas from the higher pressure tank will go into the lower pressure tank, changing that mix, but when they equalize, the formerly high pressure tank will still have the same mix it had since the gas transfer was one way.

They will not mix. Same with two different gasses across a doubles manifold. It will be years before they mix

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum and if it is please move.
This may be a stupid and often asked question but my quick search did not find anything. I have two tanks same size at basically the same fill pressure. one has 30% and the other 32% O2. If I connect them with a transfill whip will they blend and find the middle 32%? In my head this seems the theoretical outcome but practically i'm not sure they will mix or at least very much or very fast..
eventually they will, but like @rjack321 said, it's going to be measured in years. Also note, size doesn't matter for anything other than what the mix would eventually balance out to, the issue is that there is no movement of gas between the two due to no pressure delta.

The mix delta isn't significant between the two, I wouldn't worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom