Blades vs. Turtles: First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium

Reaction score
Despite diving standard Blades and Blades-clones for most of my diving career, I purchased a pair of Turtles (the Jetfin clone sized for drysuit boots, XXL Jetfins being too small) to see what all the fuss is about. Recently I had my first chance to test them out and compare.

The Blades fins are long paddle-style fins; the Turtles are shorter and wider, and feature cut-outs to channel water primarily in one direction. The Blades are 4" to 6" longer; the Turtles are 1"-2" wider, depending on where they're measured.

A good pseudo-scientific test would have evaluated both styles under the same conditions, but instead I used the Turtles on my first-ever dive with double tanks....which of course means greater drag than with a single. Throw in that my last Blades dive was in a wetsuit, and the Turtles dive was dry, and you'll see there's an even greater drag differential. But still...

I was amazed at the effects the Turtles had on certain kicks.

• frog: The frog kick has always my favorite means of propulsion underwater. Based on what I'd read from tech divers about the power Turtles generate on the frog, I was really looking forward to this one.
    • With the Blades, I could generate a great deal of power - which only all-out power flutter kicks could match, but with considerably more effort - or a great deal of finesse at lower speeds.
    • The Turtles didn't live up to their hype; instead they seemed to less efficient at turning power into speed than the Blades. This could be related to the extra drag mentioned above, so I'll test further.[/list=a]
    • modified frog: In tight spaces and silty areas, I often switch to modified frog without even noticing, unless I'm paying close attention to technique.
      • The Blades are very good for this kick (except in very tight spaces); whether this is by design or practice, I can't tell.
      • Using the Turtles for this kick seemed awkward, but still generated more than adequate power. I'm looking forward to seeing what a bit of practice with them can do.[/list=a]
      • flutter: The most common scuba kick, but one I use rather infrequently.
        • The length of the Blades leads to the fins sometimes interfering with one another, and I seem to sway from side to side when using them for this kick. This instability and the energy inefficiency lead me to avoid this one, except when all-out speed is necessary.
        • The shorter length of the Turtles eliminated the interference, and I was able to exploit this kick to the max. Simply put, I was smokin'! I couldn't believe how fast and effortlessly I was moving with this kick, despite the drysuit and double 8" tanks....and with no swaying or interference, either! [/list=a]
        • modified flutter: I've never particularly liked this kick, except in the double modified form, which is metridium-speak for kicking only from the ankles. That one's great for creeping along in both tight and silty spaces.
          • Blades are indifferent for the modified flutter, but superb for the double-modified form.
          • Using the Turtles for the normal modified kick produced a surprising amount of velocity for the relative lack of effort involved. I used this kick for tooling around most of the dive, in fact. As for the double-modified, I didn't have an opportunity to evaluate it properly. Next time...
            [/list=a]

I don't have enough experience with helicopter turns to evaluate the fins here.

As for reverse kicks, I haven't picked up the knack just yet. :rolleyes:

Advantage: Turtles, though I really miss that frog kick. I'm not giving up on the Blades just yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom