Blackbeard's on Sept 11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasdiver2

Registered
Reaction score
Am off to Miami on Sept 10 and will set sail on one of Blackbeard's boats on the 11th. Got my heavyduty clothespins and coffee cups as well as foul weather. Now if TS Ivan just cooperates. Is anyone else from the board going on the 11th?

texasdiver2

Yup, my girlfriend and I are going on the same trip. Are you worried about cancellations from Blackbeard? Or any sort of precautions or heads up before heading to Miami?

HI AJ,

Yeah, I'm worried Blackbeard's might have to cancel. It all depends on what TS Ivan does and what direction he decides to go. See a projection at http://www.ih2000.net/ira/bmt-wth.htm

This projection puts IVAN right on the Bahamas on the day we sail. But, it is a long way off and many things can happen.

Will look for you in Miami, perhaps we will be on the same boat. Do you know your boat already? i don't know mine.

Texasdiver2

Nope, I have no idea which boat I'll be on. But looking at the trajectory of Ivan now, it may just miss the Bahamas??

I emailed Blackbeard and they said that no ships were damaged and that we'll be good to go. Diveshops have told divers to trust Blackbeard and I think I'm just going to do the same. An operation of 25 years, they're not going to risk their reputation, plus their *sses and try to force a trip during severe weather. Basically, Blackbeard has it the worst with all that responsibility. So if they choose to continue, I'll trust their judgement.

Jeff

jepuskar:
If you guys go, make sure to post a trip report..my buddy and I are thinking of doing that same trip early next year.

Jason
We just came back from another Blackbeard cruise two weeks ago and can recommend it as good value for your diving $, but you have to be realistic about what you are indeed buying. But if you harbor expectations or a need for fancy travel, pampering, luxury accomodations, or haute cuisine, you will be (at best) disappointed. The crossing (across the Gulf Stream) is, at best, uneventful and can be rough. The diving is good, but not world class unless you prevail on your Captain to consider certain areas. The food is generally ok, but not memorable except for the infrequent instance when they've hired a top flight chef who has temporarily decided that he/she wants to do something fun. All this said, you can log a lot of bottom time with few restrictions or little effort at sites that are generally in good shape and have lots of sharks. We saw sharks on probably half of our dives. The quality of the crew depends on which boat you're on (ask to sail with Ernie or Paul - both are great guys).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom